back to article Videotree VideoSpa bathroom TV

Forget 3D TV and Internet-connected sets, de rigueur this season is a waterproof TV for your bathroom. Admittedly, the Videospa is primarily intended for posh hotels and overly moist gyms, but developer Videotree is also making a bit of a push into what it refers to as ‘innovative designer residential homes’. Videotree …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. LuMan
    Joke

Can't you just.....

....wrap a normal telly up in clingfilm??

2. Chris Miller

What about the connectors?

Are they waterproof too? I imagine that condensation getting into the HDMI (or power!) connector could cause some grief to your £2k telly.

If you simply must watch Corrie in the bath, here's another way to do it (Villa Florentine, Lyon - highly recommended):

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17864725/071%20Villa%20Florentine.jpg

(1996 photo - I expect they now have flat screens)

3. Tim Croydon

Not a luxury any more

I've fitted TV's in two bathrooms. In both I've paid about £400 for 19" screens. (e.g. http://www.ebstore.co.uk/iglu-home/index.html). The picture quality on the pricey ones is not really any better.

I love having it so I can watch the headlines while I'm having a, er...., brushing my teeth.

Dead easy to fit if you're replacing your bathroom, but I wouldn't recommend it otherwise - had rather messy job with an angle grinder to set it flush in a wall in my last place!

Handy tip - extend all the cables to adjacent room/loft space - makes it easier to plug in a laptop/DVD player/whatever.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Stop

Remember Part P

Just a warning to DIY enthusiasts - any new electrical installation in a bathroom/toilet/kitchen in the UK comes under Part P wiring regs and requires either a sparky who can self-certify or a visit from the local building inspectors if you do the work yourself.

While you can get away with a lot (it was there before Part P came in, honest) you won't be able to say that with this TV. As such you may end up having to rip it all out when you come to sell the house as you'll have no certs for the installation and you WILL get asked for them on something as blatantly obvious as this.

Also your home insurance is null and void if you did it yourself and didn't get it certified. Doesn't matter if there isn't a real problem with the install it still voids your insurance as you haven't followed building regs.

YMMV of course but I wouldn't risk it myself. Putting new lighting/whatever in yourself is one thing, this is a bit too blatant really.....

2. Matt Bryant Silver badge
      Boffin

RE: Not a luxury any more

I was thinking to myself that a mate has a waterproof TV in his boat, it doubles up as a large GPS display, and I was pretty sure he said it cost a lot less than £1200.

4. Code Monkey

Hmm

If you're too hooked on Jeremy Kyle that you can't step away from the telly for long enough to take a shower... well at least you can have a shower now.

5. Cameron Colley

For home use a Toughbook's probably easier...

Won't get you any admiration frmo visitors, and won't be quite as simple to use -- but will cost about the same (when you factor in an electrician to fit one) and can be moved around to the best position, including a shelf over the bath. You could play games, browse the web, send email and a whole lot more in the bath too.

Or, maybe, I really need to get out more.

6. a33a
    Facepalm

Cutesy Bubbles Menu

This is bog standard Cheapo generic chinese television internal hardware. The remote is even the same as these elcheapo products. You are paying for the idea ( and of course the case)

Don't believe me? check out this £109.99 http://www.ebuyer.com/product/199284 , I have this TV right now and it has those cutesy bubbles you speak of and the elcheapo remote along with all the features of this BathTV you speak of. (not targeting this rant at reghardware). PLUS INTERNAL SPEAKERS!

7. Jacqui

mirror TV?

Given this insane price I would just opt for a mirror based TV.

Replace one wall of the shower room with one of those TV in a mirror jobbies.

The ~2K jobbies are also touchscreens so no need for a remote in a plakky bag

this beasty would come with.

Sorrt but ~1K5 to waterproof a monitor? SIck.

8. irrelevant

Wall 'em in

I've seen bog standard TVs being used before now behind sheets of glass in, erm, the gents in various places before now. I'm sure that must be much easier, and cheaper.

1. JohnI
      Coat

Bog standard?

"Bog standard" - seems appropriate ....

9. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Ermmmm....

Ability to play DVD's...

And a shower..

Are youse thinkin' wha I'm thinkin'?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like