back to article LG debuts eye-tracking no-specs 3D screen

Monitor stories are usually zzzzz, but here's an interesting one for a change: a glasses-free 3D screen that tracks your eye movements to ensure, it's claimed, you always see a perfect picture. The kit comes from LG, and its called the D2000. It's a 20in panel and uses a parallax barrier to separate out left- and right-eye …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Alastair Dodd 1
    WTF?

does it cope with more than one viewer???

eye tracking large TVs I would've though will have that major problem..

2. Christoph
    Boffin

TVs

"there's no reason why the technology can't be adapted to large TVs."

Other than the problem when more than one person is watching - that would need multiple trackers and barriers.

3. Tom 7

Better but no cigar

still wont be able to watch it lying on the sofa.

Until they realise that both pupils on the horizontal plane is an exception rather than the rule...

Should be handy for 3d games at work - about the only time my pupils are at the same height!

4. Candy
    Facepalm

There's no reason why the technology can't be adapted to large TVs

...unless you don't want to watch alone. A monitor can quite reasonably expect a sum total of one concurrent user.

A large panel TV using this optimisation for multiple viewers? Hmmm...

5. mangobrain
    Boffin

"... but there's no reason why the technology can't be adapted to large TVs."

Except, of course, that TVs are often watched by more than one person. Good luck tracking multiple pairs of eyeballs and applying multiple image adjustments with only one physical screen.

6. tmTM

great until......

My cat wonders around behind me, or my missus walks past in a spotty dress and the monitor decides to track them instead of my head, and i get a headache with the screen changing.

7. AmazingBadger
    Thumb Up

Finally

At last.

I remember looking at a parallax-based 3D screen prototype back in 2003 (I think the manufacturer was Sharp), and it was a bit like one of those magic eye puzzles -- you had to hold your head in *exactly* the right place, indicated by a little red light over the monitor.

If they can also catch the reflected light off your eyes, they might be able to solve the lying down problem, too :-)

8. Andy Watt
    Trollface

I call double entendre

"the scene shouldn't got to pants just because you moved your eyes out of the sweetspot."

you naughty naughty writer, you

9. Wize

Does it handle...

...glasses? From nice clear ones to tinted, one piece sunglasses.

Isn't it all insensitive towards people with sight in only one eye?

1. SuperTim

No.

They have had the luxury of 2D displays for years. Its us 2 eyed people who have been discriminated against!

10. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

Cue Apple...

...telling us all how they thought about it first and now want lots of money as a reward.

[Evil Steve icon not found]

11. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

am I the only person too blind to see image popping out of the screen?

I can see depth, object appearing in front of other objects, but the depth goes _into_ the screen. I honestly can't see anything coming _out_... well, at the very least, not from the games and movies I played so far!

but, it might that I am just too blind to see things coming out of the screen!

1. EzJ
      Happy

I must be blind to...

I love my new 3d tv and quite often just sit there gawping in amazement at how my flat panel tv appears to be a relatively deep box. As somebody else mentioned though, I have yet to see anything actually come out of the screen. I can see the 3d effect and it does look stunning but it always appears to be happening inside the tv.

12. Sampler

Is this the same eye-tracking

That they have in digital cameras - the one that at least on mine seems to identify everything but eyes (got to hand it to it though as it has a rather a penchant for boobs),

13. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

So now that tv's are capable of watching us to ensure we consume the daily dose of propaganda .... when should we expect the first thoughtcrime trials?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like