back to article Interwebs IDE hits the mother Node

Cloud9 – a startup offering developers an IDE that runs entirely on the web – has announced that its creation now plugs directly into the Node.js service run by Node chief steward Joyent. You can now build a Node app, debug it, and deploy it without leaving the the web-based IDE. Unveiled this past March, Cloud9 is an online …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tom 38
    Stop

Use an editor that is not vim?

Has hell frozen over already?

2. Forget It

Free version >

Is it 30 day trial?

Or can you be free (and public) perpetually?

3. Bill Neal
    Mushroom

Wait...

Oh, I thought it was IED at first.

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Oninoshiko
    Go

Interesting

I might have to try this out, as much as I like Vim (tom38), if they offer compelling advantages I'm up for it!

6. annodomini2

There are others

How does it compare to mbed?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: There are others

"How does it compare to mbed?"

or clearString?

7. nyelvmark
    Unhappy

The ultimate in open source

All your code is available for other people to steal every time you hit the 'enter' key.

8. Is it me?

Security Model

Problem with this is that as soon as you use a web service, you loose control of the data/code you put in. A hosting company that's not in your legal jurisdiction has to comply with its local laws, not yours, hence all the worries about things like the Patriot act.

What protections do you have that really stop the service provider nicking your code, or passing it on to a third party. Think about the consequences of legal challenges to discover if your code breaks someone else's software patents and so on.

Does the underlying security model allow you to share you code with only those you choose. Is it vaulted to ensure administrators can't see it?

Nice idea if you can host if for your own cooperatives where you do have control.

9. nederlander
    Trollface

javascript

..is for girls.

This topic is closed for new posts.