back to article Cambridge IT guy 'was the Spanish Guy Fawkes', say cops

A Cambridge IT worker known locally as "Cyril" was actually a wanted terrorist who plotted to kill the King of Spain, according to police. Scotland Yard announced last week that Spanish national Eneko Gogeaskoetxea Arronategui, 44, had been arrested by armed cops in a "pro-active, intelligence-led operation" which saw the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

V

Does this mean I need to buy a new anonamask?

1. Helena Handcart
      Big Brother

Trap

Ah, you fell into their cunning trap: you have now admitted you are a member of anonymous. Expect a friendly Scientologist to be knocking on your door any moment now.

1. Naughtyhorse

friendly Scientologist???

thats an oxymoron

so a rusty scientologist then.

2. Fred Flintstone Gold badge
      Coat

No, no..

That's only for onanists. The use for that was clearly proven by George Michael. George who? Well, yes, that's another side effect, actually.

The one with the hands free mobile, thanks.

2. Mako

Eneko Gogeaskoetxea Arronategui

What a coincidence; I sneezed while typing "Google" and accidentally got his middle name in my address bar.

1. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

Whatever you do, do not sneeze..

.. when watching the laptop whilst brushing your teeth. Trust me, I speak from experience, it's not pretty. Funny, yes, pretty, no. And you have to explain to everyone why your laptop smells of strong mints.

3. JuanMaBlue

He's just a terrorist

There was no shootout. He killed a policeman in cold blood who was trying to identify this gentle and regular dad. The vicious murder was rewarded by ETA with a sort of promotion to CIO of bombings and similars. He's been "inventing" new tricks to make the bombs harder to detect and easier to detonate

4. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Nobody expects the spanish inquisition...

Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency.... Our *three* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our *four*...no... *Amongst* our weapons.... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surprise.... I'll come in again.

5. Juan Inamillion
    Thumb Up

@Nobody expects the spanish inquisition...

Well done, i choked on my crisps! Excellent sketch quote...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

For flip's sake!

' He was secretary of his local squash club and was described by his neighbours as "a gentleman" and "a regular dad", '

He was hardly likely to have a big neon sign outisde his house with ' Psycho Terrorist Lives Here! ', or a t-shirt with "BOMBS-R-US - STOP ME AND BUY ONE!", was he?

Same thing when some complete nutcase murders 14 women and buries them under his floorboards. "He was a quiet bloke, keep himself to himself he did."! He wouldn't have got past the first murder if he slashed up the victim and run into the street covered in blood screaming, "Oh dear Lord what have I done! My dog told me to kill her!"!

1. Steve the Cynic
      Alert

quiet bloke / murderer conundrum

I can confirm this. When I was at university, some significant quantity of moons ago, the CS department held a Christmas party for the students and some now-in-the-world-of-work former students of the department. Not being one to refuse a party, I went along, and met one of the ex-students, who had his own company and everything. (Late 80s, so not a dotcombubble dude.)

I collected his business card and stuck it on my parents' fridge, where it stayed for several months, until I read a story in the local rag. I thought, "Hey, that name sounds familiar," about the bloke in the story, and then it mentioned the name of the company he owned, exactly the same quirky spelling as the name on the business card on the fridge...

The bloke was up on a murder charge, for which he had just got life-without-parole (that being the policy in Massachusetts at the time), having hired this woman and then offed her...

The worst part is that he seemed like a regular bloke to me...

1. JimC

> seemed like a regular bloke

"When a felon's not engaged in his employment –

Or maturing his felonious little plans

His capacity for innocent enjoyment

Is just as great as any honest man's

"Our feelings we with difficulty smother

When constabulary duty's to be done

Ah, take one consideration with another

A policeman's lot is not a happy one. "

2. Matt Bryant Silver badge
      Happy

RE: For flip's sake!

Maybe he thought he was untraceable, that he was truly ANONYMOUS online....

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Over to you Dave.

Perhaps the PM would care to step in and give the guy another chance?

4. Fred Flintstone Gold badge
      Joke

So, if you ever want to off some people..

.. immediately start running around screaming "ow my gaawd, I killed him". First of all, as it's a her you'll draw them off the scent (unless you leave it to long, then it will smell from underneath your floorboards whatever you do - but I digress) and secondly you'll be seen as a loon who could not possibly be a serial murderer.

Hmmm. Staggering, the things you earn here..

7. I know better
    Coat

Hell of a scrabble score...

Did this guy get his name encrypted by deed poll?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

Illegal?

You can't use proper names in Scrabble can you (admittedly it's been some time since I played)..?

1. Wyrdness
        Go

Yes you can

The rules of Scrabble changed a year ago, so that you can now use proper names. Not sure how you'd make that name with only 7 tiles though.

2. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Yes you can

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8604625.stm says so

Although that's not what I'd call a proper name.

3. Bakunin
        Headmaster

Re: Illegal?

These are controversial times we live in. The proper noun has been allowed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8604625.stm

(Not, of course, in my house on pain of death!)

4. This post has been deleted by its author

1. david 63

Noooooooooo...

...proper nouns in scrabble...it's just plain wrong and it's making me nauseous...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Assassinate the King?

What exactly did he expect to happen after he assassinated the King, the Spanish would hand over the Basque county to ETA ...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Go

You expect a terrorist to be rational?

Its just like all the fanatics in Iraq. They state they want the US and the west out of Iraq, so rather then sitting quiet for 6 months and allowing peace to rein (which the US and the West would then happily bugger off from Iraq at the first sign of peace), they go around blowing up the new Iraqi military and killing civilians and forcing the West to stick around to try and fight them to bring about some peace...

Rationality has never been high on the list of people willing to kill (or die) for a cause...

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

To get a name like that

did his parents just mash the keyboard?

10. Charlie van Becelaere
    Headmaster

Was I the only one

to read that subhead with a (phantom) comma as:

Cambridge IT guy 'was the Spanish Guy, Fawkes', say cops.

I was wondering, "who is this Spanish guy named Fawkes?"

I love punctuation, even when it's not there.

11. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Are they still terrorists then?

Presumably there aren't many Spanish voters in the USA, so it will only take a few Basque emigres voting the right way in Boston for it to become clear that ETA were freedom fighters all along.

Then Nobel peace prizes all round, jobs for life on the council for the previous naughty boys and we can pretend it never happened.

They can't really be terrorists or freedom fighters anyway - there's no oil there.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like