back to article Moles say Mac OS X Lion to bound in next week

Mac OS X 10.7 Lion will go on sale next Thursday, 14 July, it has been claimed. With paid-up developers now able to download Lion's first Golden Master (GM) seed, a variety of sites - among them 9to5 Mac and AppleInsider - are quoting retail moles who say staff are being kept in work late on the 13th, presumably to kit out the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Annihilator
    Paris Hilton

Evening work

"will finally debut after Lion arrives, possibly even on the same day, given the previous evening's retail activity - which a download-only product may not warrant on its own"

Presumably ensuring that all the display models are up-to-date with Lion is a challenge/task in itself though?

1. jonathanb Silver badge

Re: Evening work

and all stock models too. They won't sell stock with Snow Leopard pre-installed after Lion comes out.

1. Ivan Headache

Why not?

Traditionally when an updated OS comes out the stock is shipped with the existing OS and a CD in the box with the upgrade on it.

Seeing that the upgrade is a download only - and appears to need Snow-Leopard (I may be wrong) in order to install, I'm not sure how they would do that.

We'll just have to wait and see.

2. O RLY

stock models with Snow Leopard

Yes they will. It will be a few weeks before the in-store inventory with Snow Leopard is depleted; punters will be entitled to download Lion for no additional charge.

1. Rich 30

POS materials

They will surely need to change all their POS (point of sale, not anything else you can think of!) materials too to say, with OSX 10.7 preinstalled, or OSX Lion compatable, and to put up big pictures of Lions everywhere etc. Not a bit job, i'm sure, but a job that needs doing after business hours.

1. jubtastic1

POS materials

Is all iPads in web kiosk mode, so I'd imagine it will take a blink of an eye to update.

Shipping, installing and drugging the promotional lion cubs that will be wandering about the store on launch day is likely to be a bigger deal.

2. Chris D Rogers
    Thumb Down

Absolute piffle and cabbage

Should I be excited by this most momentous of news - NOT.

To put it bluntly, all my Macs are now running Lion GM - indeed, given how brilliant it is, I've just wasted a day trying to salvage 1T of media after Lion decided not to perform too well installed in my Mac Mini media centre.

For this, Apple expects 30 bucks, I think not, don't they make enough money from hardware sales and iPhones.

I'm thankful for all Jailbreak developers, and kind persons willing to share - My verdict on Lion, certainly not worth all the fuss - hopefully a new Mac Mini will be out soon, mines now showing its age since I upgraded to i7 iMacs - a 2.4 c2d being a tad underpowered and don't get me mentioning graphics cards.

1. Ilgaz

run unreleased OS with 1TB of data?

First of all, there is a chance that disk warrior may fix the data loss or at least let you copy parts to another disk.

Don't run OS betas with data not backed up. You were also supposed to report it to Apple as it could be a show stopper bug. Another thing is, if there is a single company who are mad about NDA is Apple. If I were you, I would cancel my post. They are dead serious.

2. nick47
      Facepalm

You didn't back up?

A 1 TB External hard drive costs about £50. Your Mac Mini has built in back-up software called "Time Machine". If only you had a time machine eh!?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Let the early adopters suffer

Let the fanboys upgrade first and discover all the problems. Just like the idiots who downloaded Final Cut Pro X and ended up asking for refunds.

With a hefty download size and a crap broadband connection there's going to be little incentive for me to jump in early.

Also if there's no physical DVD's I guess they'll be no idiots queuing at the Apple shops.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I'll give it a month…

…then see if they've finally put it out on DVD. I need to pick up a few bits for this MacBook at some point. (Namely, a display port adapter, and a 12V DC-DC converter would be nice too for away-from-mains operation).

If they've got it there on disc, I'll buy, otherwise I pass. Simple.

4. ceebee

well this cat is not buying ...

Lion maybe very nice... but without Rosetta I will keep my $30 thank you... apart from the 4gb download issue ... losing PPC app support is a deal killer for me.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like