back to article Verizon Wireless ends unlimited data plans

Verizon Wireless – the largest wireless carrier in the US – will no longer offer unlimited data plans to new customers beginning on Thursday, July 7. Currently, the carrier offers unlimited data plans for $30 a month. But as reported by Reuters, Verizon's new $30 plan will limit data usage to 2GB. Those who exceed 2GB will pay …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mathew Snyder

New Every Two?

Does "upgrade your phone" mean only mid-contract or does New Every Two (for those of us with one left) fall under the existing users bit?

1. leexgx
      Angel

when contract has ran out

upgrade when contract has ran out or you pay up stupid amount of money to end the contract sooner to get an upgrade on an phone

2. DavCrav

In the UK...

with Vodafone on my contract, which isn't that expensive, 1GB is £1. US customers being ripped off for once?

1. Sandy106
      Unhappy

Nothing new there

Our ISPs and cable providers are even worse

3. Jason 24
    Thumb Up

So perhaps...

The mobile industry won't make the huge mistake that ISPs have and offer ridiculous amounts of bandwidth for peanuts... or am I being optimistic?

4. Heff

oh come _ON_

why is there never a coverage for the high-end data client? unlimited always means "up until we decide you're abusing out good graces", and when they finally abolish that, there's never a premium unlimited option. $80 for 10gig. great. can we have $150 for unlimited and stop counting bandwidth like its magic goddamned beans already?

1. leexgx

cost

i would not pay more then £5 for an data plan on an mobile phone 200MB is really pushing it for $15 (that's like £7-£9 here) for that i would expect 2GB or more for that

mobile broadband dongles £20 max but only if the limit was high like 10GB or more (uk still lame as only Three UK mobile offer 15GB plans for £17 an month all other networks rip off for 2GB normally)

$150 you got to be kidding no one in there right mind would pay that

1. Heff
        Facepalm

Thats a cool story bro

when you're done downloading angry birds and a kanye west ringtone, get back to me when you need to do business on the move. 'k?

Thanks!

5. frankieh
    Linux

diddums

You should try Australia, my 29 dollar a month gets me 500mb of data.

In Australia, the wireless companies bend you over and rape you because we don't have much choice, everything eventually comes back to Telstra/Vodafone/Optus. and they generally try to match each other.

6. leexgx
    Go

and i thought the UK was bad for Mobile data

$15 for 200mb LOL

norm £5 for 500MB or 1GB depending on mobile provider (what's lame amount any way) and

what's interesting is Three UK mobile has just made an Unlimited data package now (or should i say the One plane now is unlimited) that's £35 an month with 2000 mins any mobile network/landline, 5000 txt, 5000 mins between Three UK mobile phones {it does not use the 2000 mins it has its own 5000 mins} and that's with just about any phone on 24 month contract that they offer,

only down side with Three UK is its like T-mobile in the USA hardly works where you want it to as its an new network compared to T-mobile/orange (everything anywhere merging towers so technically the most coverage in the uk now) and Vodafone and o2 that's been around for long time so 2g coverage is mostly every where for all 4 networks in the UK (3g mostly around now but still patchy in some spots)

7. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

They love it!

Always makes laugh when I read about all these wonderful online services we're all told we must get into, streamed media and games, of the governments banging on about the services they have onine. Yeah right!

The ISPs must love all these streamed services, their grotty little infrastruture can't handle them very well but who cares when they can find enough customers ( read: cash cows ) prepared to pay absolutely ridiculuous prices for mobile bandwidth and keep pumping the money into the exec's bonuses and shareholders pockets.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

You're all suckers

I teather my blackberry to my macbook via bluetooth. I use payG on T-Mobile, for £10 a month you get unlimited txts and data and calls are cheap if you're calling other t-mobile (different networks are a different matter). I successfully chew through a whole heap of data and am unhindered in where I surf and what services I can access using vpn. Try it some time.

9. wayne 8

"free" hotspot

The free hotspot was always a promotional offer. It was never intended to stay free. They just wanted customers to be able to try it out////// get addicted before paying for the service.

Get a bunch of hippies to build out a multi billion dollar network and they can share it communally like a joint.

10. AdamWill
    FAIL

Hotspot 'service'

"The carrier – a joint venture between Verizon Communications and Vodaphone Group – also announced that it will begin charging for its LTE mobile hotspot service, which turns certain phones into Wi-Fi access points"

That phrasing is oddly over-sympathetic to Verizon. It's simply wrong to suggest that using a phone as a wireless access point is a Verizon service ("its LTE mobile hotspot service"). It is not. It is a feature of the phone's software; the carrier has precisely nothing to do with it. Carriers have simply come up with the wheeze of artificially denying you the ability to use a feature of your phone unless you pay them a fee. There is absolutely no legitimate justification for a carrier charging a customer to use their phone as a wireless access point.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

mo' money

Maybe they could return all the tax money that was used to fund infrastructure upgrades (at least in the U.S.) that didn't result in cheaper rates or better service. Maybe I should just invest in telecom stock and get part of my money back through dividends.

12. JB
    Meh

Not surprised

I'm on the AT&T $15 200Mb plan, and to be honest the amount is fine for me. But after visiting the UK a couple of times in the last six months, where I bought an O2 mobile broadband dongle, I'm really surprised at how much we're paying for data here in the US. You lot in the UK might complain, but the UK and Europoe are light years ahead of the US when it comes to mobile data and how it's sold. Trouble is, there are far too many complacent customers here to provoke the carriers into droping prices, and little competition, exacerbated by carrier-exclusive phones, so if you want that nicer phone you have to o with that carrier. What a bloody mess (a bit like this comment!)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like