back to article Coder cracks iPad 2 jailbreak block

iDevice owners, including folk with an iPad 2, can now jailbreak their phones'n'fondleslabs with a simple visit to a website. The site, www.jailbreakme.com, is once again up and running - coder comex last had it live a year ago - to open up iPads, GSM iPhone 3GS and 4s, and 3G and 4G iPod Touches, all running iOS 4.3, 4.3.3 or …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

didnt work

on my 3GS

2. Llyander
    FAIL

Be nice if it worked...

Failed on both my iPad 1 and my iPhone 4, both running iOS 4.3.3. I've emailed the developer about it and we'll see what he says.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

worked on my iPad2

That is all

3. Oninoshiko
    WTF?

jailbreak yourself

Stop supporting a company with policies you don't agree with (if you don't agree with them. If you don't not agree with them, then carry on).

1. Old Handle
      Thumb Up

Pretty much my thoughts

It's a great service for someone who acquires a second hand iGadget or technology-illiterate person who bought it not knowing any better. But why anyone would buy a device knowing ahead of time they would have to go to extra trouble to defeat hostile software before it was fully usable is beyond me.

2. N13L5
      WTF?

I'm simply not buying Apple products anymore...

I got sick and tired of wasting my time to jailbreak my phones. Its like fighting Jobs tooth and nail for every inch, cause he doesn't want me to be the owner of the crap I paid him for.

Cause in the U.S. Apple/AT&T will *never* unlock your phone, even after you fulfilled your contract, because there's no law protecting consumers from having their phone turned into a worthless paperweight every 2 years - unless you jailbreak...

Good thing that there's now technically more advanced phones.

And since iPads mainly serve as a crack-pipe for the new crack "online addiction" the thought of buying one never crossed my mind.

Bought my last phone in Germany... even though its on a contract, no branding, no SIM lock from the start, cause I got it from a 3rd party distribution partner of Vodafone. Switching it from German to English took 10 seconds. I'll never buy another phone in the U.S. and certainly none from Crapple...

4. HollyHopDrive

that was the sound....

.....of Steve jobs smug little face turning to an angry looking one.

Good work fella.

5. jubtastic1

Seems a waste

I get that there's something of a race to be the first to crack it but IOS5 is round the corner, most users are going to want to upgrade to that and it's hard to imagine Apple isn't going to plug an exploit that gives a website root access just by visiting. Should have saved this till after the update.

6. Cameron Colley

There is an alternative.

Don't pay a company to stop you using your phone.

Until Apple allow "jailbreaking" as a reduced-cost alternative, since you're not paying fro a guarantee, the only people "jailbreaking" are spoiled little rich kids with time to waste.

If you have the intelligence to jailbreak an iProduct you have the intelligence to know that is just sells more iProducts and pays for a patent troll.

1. fuego
      WTF?

So presumably...

... you have an Android phone, which you've chosen not to 'root'?

7. Ian Ferguson
    Gimp

Interesting

I have an iPad 2 and would try this, but after jailbreaking my 3GS I couldn't find anything worthwhile in the 'unofficial' store to make jailbreaking worth the (minor) effort.

The only other advantage seems to be so you can pirate official apps, which kind of nullifies the moral high ground of the anti-walled-garden campaigners...

Any advice on essential unofficial apps?

1. D@v3

SBSettings is pretty good

Lets you pull down a set of toggles from the clock /status bar, gives quick access to Wifi, Brightness, 3G etc...

But similarly, I have gone down this route before, and often find after a few weeks, i have re-set my device due to no massive gain from being jailbroken.

2. TheFifth

There is one essential

Well I guess the only essential is PDF Patcher 2, which protects you from the exploit they used to jailbreak in the first place. I've jailbroken my iPhone for that alone.

SBSettings is another useful one as it gives you quick access to Wifi, BT and 3G toggles etc.

Other than that I agree, there is little point in jailbreaking.

3. Ramazan
      Holmes

@Ian Ferguson

There was an unofficial app that allowed me to make Skype calls from iPhone over GPRS/EDGE, but I don't remember its name anymore, sorry. That one was really useful IMHO

8. fatJock
    Happy

Just the ticket

Worked fine on my IPad 2 running 4.3.3 - well done Comex. Love his exploits - easy for Apple to patch but so damn sexily deployed :)

9. The Fuzzy Wotnot
    Pint

Ermmm

I didn't think the 3G could run iOS 4.3, I though it was stuck at 4.2.1? Apologies if I'm wrong.

1. Paw Bokenfohr

iPod Touch

when they say 3G, they're talking about the third-generation iPod touch, not the iPhone 3G.

HTH,

Paw.

10. Gulfie
    Trollface

Didn't work on my Galaxy Tab or Nexus One

Obviously. And can we now banish the term fondleslab from Reg articles for good?

11. jai

why bother?

with iOS5 just around the corner, with arguably sufficient improvements to warrant upgrading to, then should you find there are any unofficial apps that you use, you'll be getting rid of them again in a couple of months.

besides, I've still yet to see any real must-have app that would really necessitate jailbreaking

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like