back to article Souvenir coin sparked nano spy alert

A commemorative Canadian 25 cent coin was responsible for a US Defence Department security alert that soured relations between the US and its closest neighbour. Concerned US contractors reported that a sinister new technology had been found embedded in the coin, which were apparently of Canadian origin. One filed a report …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. oliver gillespie

Thank God for american Militery Inteligence

I have many members of the Canadian part of my family that have served their nation, all report back that they would rather go naked in to a fire fight than fight along side the United States of Friendly Fire.

This is just another example of America reacting with out thinking and looking like a bunch of idiots!

2. Paul Fleetwood

without wishing to be picky

how come Canada is the US closest neighbour, surely Mexico is just as close, as they share a border?

/tiresome pedantry

3. Frank Bellavance

Closest neibor

1: The border between Canada and the USA is bigger. Plus, part of the contry (Alaska) is only accessible by going over Canadien territory.

2: Close diplomatic and economic relations, even considering the US constantly tries to screw us over by taxing wood and demanding we sale oil cheaper.

4. Dan

Canada is closer

Canada is closer than Mexico because the border is longer.

So who exactly looks like an idiot here? A security contractor who is under instructions to report anything even the slightest bit worrisome? A person who sees composite layers and wire mesh on an unusual coin- that might resemble microelectronics? Administrators who would rather be faulted for being too careful, rather than too lazy?

Of course, hindsight is perfect. But spy devices have turned up in weirder ways before. Like the decorative carved wooden plaque the Soviets gave the US Embassy in the 1960's that had a passive listening device that was almost undetectable.

5. Ralph B

Dumb and Dumber

So, worried by Canadians possibly putting tracking devices in quarters, the US authorities are putting RFID tech in their people's passports ...

6. Ishkandar

Passports

But it's American so it must be alright. After all, they are the ones who are fighting the righteous war against terrorism. Who knows what dastardly Canadian terrorists will do ? They might smuggle in rabid polar bears or poisoned maple syrup, or worse, destroy the American cultural fabric with their pop stars !!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

We already OWN the american coultural fabric

Since the days of Marry Pickford, it is Canadians who make up the culture of The USA. The star ship Enterprise was led by 2 out of 3 Canadians, as was the Ponderosa on Bonanza.

8. Andy Bright

It's all true..

I don't think people appreciate the devious nature of the plan.

An innocent comment in the newspaper article gives it away. Apparently someone stated that tagging a defence contractor with a coin is stupid because of the likelihood they'll either spend it or give it away.

Ahah! And there you have it. Simply produce 300 million coins, and have enough pass through the system so that every American is carrying one. The paper has revealed that 30 million tracking coins have already been manufactured, it seems they are well on their way to infiltrate the homes of every upstanding US citizen.

So as soon as the invasion plans are complete, their nano-American-tracking systems will be switched on - easily allowing them to track the movements of every American man, woman and child.

Now consider their insidious efforts to lure our elderly citizens into their country with offers of cut-priced prescription drugs and affordable medical treatment. Could it be that each of those seemingly innocent pills is embedded with RFID? No doubt the old will be the first to be culled. After all how long could you expect the senior population to last in the infamous Maple Syrup Mines of Quebec?

Clearly it is you civic duty to rush out and buy a decent variety of assault rifles, then move north to assist the FDA and their good friends in the pharmaceutical industry patrol the Canadian border.

9. Lee Aydelotte

Canadian treachery

Forget the terrorists -- it is well established the Canadians are poisoning us with seductively lower priced pharmecuticals.

10. James Cleveland

So

They track some coins.

Looks like the end of the world guys see you in the bunker.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's a fair cop, guv.

Could have sworn our southern neighbours wouldn't figure it out.

12. Dillon Pyron

Gotta get me one

I want to be tracked by the Canadians. They have to be friendlier than my own government. At least when they send me to Cuba they'll put me up in a three star hotel.

13. Ole Juul

If only they had a second quarter

They could have called someone to ask.

14. sidney cook

Tin foil hats

It is alien technology and they are watching and listing to every thing you are doing! Dr. Who knows about this and is instructing every one to put the coins in the microwave for five minutes.

15. Nick Palmer

Is it just me...

...who is amused by the phrase "filled with something man-made that looked like nano-technology,"? Looked like nano-technology...personally, I'm not sure I'd have any idea what an item between 1-100 nanometers would look like... :P

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like