back to article Nokia begins mass Symbian Anna update

Nokia has new firmware on speed-dial and is set to offer many of its current client base a free Symbian Anna update. According to AllAboutSymbian, the Finnish mobile giant is set to handout firmware updates that come with Anna's improved browser Web 7.3, updated Ovi Maps, the addition of emoticons for SMS and MMS, and more. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Sigh

My S60 3rd ed handset isn't there.

Looks like with this version of Symbian they've invested just enough to keep the business customers sweet (fragmentation and costs and all that).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

Same here

Mine are even earlier - E71 and N95. Looks like they are not going to be getting anything anytime soon.

1. Ilgaz

E71 here too

Good co-incidence is, Opera Mobile just got update today. WebP image format for turbo and other stuff.

Funny thing is, Nokia still keeps E71 on shelves since to convince E71 users to give up beauty for faster E72 flopped. E71 may be dozens of times used/sold than E72 and they know it for sure. They just want to keep people got tricked to upgrade E72 happy.

Anyways, at least web browser and more importantly (nobody uses browser), web runtime (wrt) got a new engine. Happy for Bloomberg and AP guys.

2. Wize

'Not the N97...'

Well, its a heap anyway.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Too Late

Nokia lost me as a loyal customer when they made their power sockets so tiny they'd BREAK.

What's the f***ing use of a f***ing phone if you can't f***ing charge it?

Dumbasses.

4. Tim Walker
    Meh

Where's the 'pedant' icon?

Ah well, I'll just go ahead anyway with another one... ;-)

As I understand it, "Anna" isn't what these older handsets are receiving. "Anna" is the next major update of the Symbian^3 OS - i.e. the system the higher-spec Nokia blowers from the last year or so are running (e.g. N8, C7, E7 et al). As the AAS article points out, the older devices are running S^3's predecessors (Symbian S60 3rd Edition FP2 and Symbian S60 5th Edition).

The newest Nokia S^3-based devices (e.g. X7, E6) are shipping with "Anna" installed, and as an N8 owner, I understand the earlier S^3 handsets should be getting the update in the next few weeks or so. (Mind you, one could put forward that Nokia's been saying that for most of this year, but let's move along quickly there...)

Basically, this is a grab-bag of various features from Anna, which Nokia is rolling out to selected older handsets. Now it's the turn of the S^3 owners to chafe while we wait for the Anna rollout...

"Meh", because... well, no "pedant" icon :-)

5. Jarno
    Happy

Wow, I really wasn't expecting anything from Nokia anymore, regarding Symbian. I am still quite happy with my Nokia 5800 and I was sorry to see Symbian go, so this is pretty good news. Albeit to a limited audience, I guess.

6. The Serpent

Artifice

Bums, and there was me going to give my old E90 an airing for the first time in a year and a half

7. J. R. Hartley

and the world goes

meh.

8. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Why didn't they fix the old firmwares instead?

I'd be happy if at least they released a N96 firmware that it wouldn't reset whenever one tries to use the GPS. Not that I am using that crap much any more - dumped it for an Android long ago. I'd just like to have been able to at least use it as a small GPS, instead of having it in a drawer somewhere, as nobody would buy it second hand.

1. Ilgaz

Here is fix (hopefully)

Did you switch gps "helper" url to something else from supl.nokia.com like to google? That caused resets on E71. Could be related.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The title is required, and must contain letters and/or digits.

That is a good idea. I'll try using the one from my android phone, maybe it will work. But the problem seemed deeper than that, the N96 when used as a GPS tended to reset whenever you were reaching a complicated intersection on which you had to change roads. Seemed like the large calculations crashed it.

9. Joe K

Goody

Still holding onto my good ol' N82.

Amazing camera (Carl Ziess optics and a proper flash) and an amazing ability to pick up a signal *anywhere* means i have no reason to upgrade quite yet.

(an iTouch is on app duty)

1. garbo
      Thumb Up

Will second that...

My old N82 takes better pix, picks up more wifi nodes and is faster on 'pure' GPS than my pal's iPhone, and is revived from our tropical downpours in Bangkok with a gentle blow drying (twice now). Even the wife uses her old N82, rather than her new S2, for pix.

Can't see what I could really upgrade.

10. Nick Kew
    FAIL

nokianna

My E71 too old? Heh.

Well, I guess that saves having to find out if there are any issues to worry about, like whether it hurts battery life, or whether it breaks maps (like the N900) by having it play sillybuggers and do things like rotate to its own agenda.

11. Jemma
    FAIL

...its a shame...

Shame - my E70 isnt on their either - but then it might be a little old. Shame that after that they pretty much lost the plot unless it was a candybar.

12. cloudberry
    Flame

I hope it fixes a bug an earlier firmware upgrade introduced to my E72...

...namely, when editing calendar entries, the line you're editing suddenly goes blank, so you can't see what you're doing. Great quality control there, fellas.

13. This post has been deleted by its author

14. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Oo, a FREE Symbian Anna update! Whoop de doo.

Now think of what would happen if Nokia had attempted to charge for it.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like