back to article Atmos 2.0 now shipping

EMC is now shipping its boosted cloud storage: it's faster, more efficient, and a drag 'n' drop interface for Windows users makes it look like just another folder. Version 2.0 of the Atmos software is claimed to be 500 percent faster than v1. For protection it stores parts of objects, segments, across distributed Atmos boxes …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. TRT Silver badge
    Alien

distributed Atmos boxes

I, for one, welcome our new Sontaran overlords.

1. The Infamous Grouse

Atmos

Nice reference, although first thought was of this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tangerine_Computer_Systems#Oric_Atmos

Ping! Zap! Explode!

2. My Alter Ego
      Coat

In other news, EMC is leaving Earth for Castor 36

There is a delicious irony in the fact it's cloud related too, seeing as it's an American corp I doubt it's an in joke.

2. PhilBack
    Mushroom

Ah Oric Atmos... So 80s :-)

And it had a less stellar history than the Oric1. Better keyboard tough.

Back to the cloud, everytime I see "Cloud", it just feels like a synonym for "online". As in "Online Storage" and "Online Drive".... What's so new about that?

3. Peter Gordon
    Thumb Up

Oh. I was hoping for a new Oric machine :)

That would have been much more fun.

4. Terry Barnes
    Coat

Oric Extended Basic V1.1

Crikey, that's a good 192K of RAM between those four Orics. I just hope they've used the 27 years since the first Atmos was launched to correct the dodgy tape-handling routines, or there'll be some upset customers out there. I always found turning the treble right up and using metal tapes helped.

Wasn't the Atmos V2.0 called the Stratos though? Demo-ed the day before Oric went bust, to be then bought by a French company called Eureka and launched some months later with a Minitel modem and renamed the Telestrat...

5. Toastan Buttar

Great minds...

I can see from the above comments that everyone else thought the same as me. I tried to buy an Oric Atmos when I was moving up from my ZX81 but couldn't find one on sale anywhere. Settled on a 48K Speccy instead.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like