back to article Gov piles pressure on News Corp in BSkyB bid

An independent director will have to sit in on Sky News board meetings when editorial decisions are being made if News Corporation's bid to takeover BSkyB is successful and the news provider is spun off into a separate company, the Government said today. The independent director has to have senior editorial or journalistic …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Blofeld's Cat
    Facepalm

Good grief

Would it not have just been simpler to say "No"?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Where do I post my TV back to?

I already don't read most newspapers due to Murdoch. Don't have Sky because of Murdoch (for what percentage he does currently control), so giving him more percentage means Sky is a no-no.

I saw somewhere (probably DigitalSpy) that Sky channel viewing figures (bar Sky One and the odd movie/sports channel) was inordinately poor due to the pap he puts out. Then he snaffled up Virgin One/Channel One & a few more to turn those channels into mud.

So I am just left with FreeView really. No great shakes either way as long as you like repeats and "new" series being broadcast about 3 years after airing on Sky (yes, they seem desperate to snaffle anything & everything construed to be worthwhile watching to up the quality of their typical dross).

You gotta laugh otherwise you'd cry...& probably why I watch Dave quite a bit now. Can't someone stop his media empire-building (& dumbing-down)? Obviously the government can't (any interests to declare from this "deal", Mr MP?)

3. Thought About IT

Seems like a double win

Murdoch has freed himself of the constraints on Sky News, by offloading it, so now he can set up his own "fair and balanced" "news" channel in the image of Fox, to tell the other side of every story. That should be able to keep his puppets in government in perpetuity.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Independent director

Murdoch made similar promises when he took over The Times and broke them within months. He knows Hunt 'n co. won't get in the way of his plans.

Now, when's he going to start paying tax on NI's UK's operations?

5. Peter 39

Useless

The rules will stay for a little while and then Murdoch will change them. He's already admitted that he lied with respect to commitments made during earlier takeovers. Why should this time be different?

This is just a Gov't FAIL - pure and simple. They know who they're dealing with and it's no use pretending otherwise.

This topic is closed for new posts.