back to article Skype brings cross-platform video to Android

Skype's Android client now supports cross-platform video calling, so mobile users can see desktop users and no one has to feel jealous of Apple's FaceTime any more. The new capability is limited to four models of Android handset, the Desire S, Xperia Neo and Pro and (of course) the Nexus S, but if you have one of those phones …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dave 64 Silver badge
    Trollface

waiting for the MS haters to come along here

So...this is a new non-Windows version from Skype - the company which, when it was bought by Microsoft, everyone said would kill off non-WIndows versions.

1. sleeco
      Happy

There is now a mod at XDA for Samsng Galaxy SGS/SGS11, and it works very well.

2. BritBloke

and no one has to feel jealous of Apple's FaceTime any more

Was anyone ever jealous of facetime?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Was anyone ever jealous of facetime?

Only iPad 1 and 3GS owners. Probably.

3. Ian Yates
    WTF?

Thank F for that

How long did that take them? Seriously?!

Fring and NimBuzz had it so long ago, Skype should have bought of them out instead of shutting them down.

Too late now, though; everyone's looking for better (or "non-MS") alternatives.

4. Ben Rosenthal

Oh

meh, I found the Android client to be horrific and binned it within hours.

1. as2003

The title is required, and must contain letters and/or digits.

What a surprise.

I just dropped by the comments section to make some snide comments about their programming prowess, and how I hope they got an external team to build something decent. Looks like I don't need to.

5. TonyHoyle

Looked interesting then..

I read the reviews on the market.

Oh dear.

Think I'll wait for the non-beta version.

6. lotus49
    FAIL

Just in time...

...for me to start looking for an alternative to Skype now it's part of the evil empire.

Yup, fully paid up, card carrying MS hater here.

7. Mikel
    Pint

Other choices

If you want to video chat from your Android device directly to Facetime folks, Tango is your answer.

If you want video chat with anybody on iOS, OS-X or PC, Google's Talk is a nice app that comes with Honeycomb that's available for free on the others.

1. Argh

Google talk on Android

Unless you're using Android 2.3.4+ (still quite rare), you won't even have audio on Google Talk, let alone video.

In fact, the HTC Flyer tablet is just about to get a 2.3.4 release and it still doesn't have video.

I've been quite happy with Skype audio on Android, despite the haters. I don't have a device capable of running the video in this release though, unfortunately.

I don't think Microsoft will have had anything to do with this update, but wouldn't care if they had, unless it was obvious that they were holding back specific features for their own devices.

2. dacbarbos
      Facepalm

It's all about service popularity (fame)

I agree that Tango.me is the no.1 choice when it comes to Anroid video chat but let's not forget the no.2 competitor in this area which is a recent startup called ooVoo.com - yahoo messenger also supports video chat using a dedicated plugin. So yes - sad but true - Skype's video support is late and very limited. Fring and NimBuzz were already mentioned in a different comment.

8. Paul
    Boffin

why these models and no others?

what's so special about the designated phones? is it the video chips? specific android release (gingerbread)?

thanks

9. saned
    Linux

Yawn...

Maemo on N900 had Skype integrated video chat and Google Talk since its release on Nov. 2009.

Android is late to the party, but welcomed regardless...

10. This post has been deleted by its author

11. I love android app

Great app

Now in this era everyone wants fast & accurate service. In this fast and growing era every person use phones not only for the telecommunication but their expectaion is much more. Person wanty thought is also like that. to make their phone as a office computer. I am also running a business and my thought is also like that.

I have used varios android apps & found good result in return. One day i was just searching for some apps and find one. I thought to try tis one and start obseving it. You people will not believe that it is mindblowing. I am fully satisfied with this apps and will suggest you all to try this and you will be able to rate this.

http://www.peapple.com/peapple/Rapidfire.html

12. I love android app

I love android app

Now in this era everyone wants fast & accurate service. In this fast and growing era every person use phones not only for the telecommunication but their expectaion is much more. Person wanty thought is also like that. to make their phone as a office computer. I am also running a business and my thought is also like that.

I have used varios android apps & found good result in return. One day i was just searching for some apps and find one. I thought to try tis one and start obseving it. You people will not believe that it is mindblowing. I am fully satisfied with this apps and will suggest you all to try this and you will be able to rate this.

http://www.peapple.com/peapple/Rapidfire.html

13. Jon H

3G video?

Why is video on iPhones and Android such a big effort?

Bog standard 3G phones had video calling years ago and my 4 year old Windows Mobile 6 phone does video calling using the basic 3G standard, hence not limited like "facetime" users that can only see other "facetime" users or Skype to Skype only.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like