back to article 17 flock to see Gordon Ramsay turkey

Sweary chef Gordon Ramsay looks a likely Razzie candidate after his film debut attracted just 17 cinemagoers in its opening week. Romcom Love's Kitchen opened in the UK last Friday, and the Sun reckons it took a lean 121 quid in five cinemas, or "£1 more than the cost of a meal at one of his posh restaurants". The movie …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Greg J Preece

IMDB

Check out the blatantly shill review on IMDB. Someone's panicking.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Read The Guardian One

It's brutal.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2011/jun/23/love-s-kitchen-film-review

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Read The Guardian One

The trailer review is hysterical.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmblog/2011/jun/01/loves-kitchen-gordon-ramsay-trailer

1. Ian Yates
          Mushroom

Re: Read The Grauniad One

The trailer review is excellent.

I also like the wikipedia "Critical Reception" understatement:

It took £121 on its opening weekend in June 2011, comparing *poorly* [emphasis mine] with the same weekend's biggest opening film, Bridesmaids, which took £3.44 million.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Turkey Gordon Bleugh

Why is it Gordon's turkey? He was only in the film as a cameo, though he seemed to have difficulty pulling off a Gordon Ramsay impersonation. Yes the film is utter cack though I would blame the director and script writer and the real actors rather Ramsay,

Anonymous cause I don't want anyone to know I went to see it, well was dragged along by the missus, honest 'guv.

Re: Turkey Gordon Bleugh

It's not 'his', it's just that he's the only big name involved, see.

1. Jim 48
        Trollface

the only "big" name?

* Dougray Scott

* Simon Callow

* Peter Bowles

* Lee Boardman

(okay, the last two are pushing the point a bit)

I think they've shot themselves in the foot by featuring the wanker Ramsey so much in the trailer, it seems a fairly standard British rom-com but people will stay away as nobody in their right mind likes Gordon Ramsey.

Re: the only "big" name?

Well, fair point, but I guess in tabloid terms Ramsay is the big... bird. Would you have clicked on this story if it had Dougray Scott in the headline?

1. Test Man
            WTF?

Yes

Dougray Scott is the Hollywood star. Gordon Ramsay is just a chef.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Devil

@Test Man

Tell that to Gordon...

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

'Would you have clicked on this story if it had Dougray Scott in the headline?'

Not a chance, but had you mentioned the moustache himself - PETER BOWLES - that would have been another matter.

2. Patrick O'Reilly

big enough

It's really the writer and directors fault that the film is so terrible, they even have proper Hollywood class actors, Dougray Scott & Claire Forlani, so its not fair to say Ramsey was the only big name.

Next he should cameo on Neighbours, Ramsey on Ramsey St.

3. MJI Silver badge

Just looked on IMDB

Somebody does like it.

I have never even heard of it.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hard to live down

Even a lavish hard-hitting ITV drama does better than 17 punters.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Public Danger

Lester Haines .. i should have known .. :)

Though you DID give us fair warning before we clicked the link , we were taken by surprise and all got sick to our stomachs watching the trailer.Result : floor needs refinishing , cost , 75 quids.

This is really a stinker.No wonder noone wants to see it. A waste of perfectly good film imho.

BTW Lester : we're sending the cleanup bill.As usual , amusing and quite refreshing.

I need a stiff drink to keep me from shaking.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Megaphone

Re: Public Danger

It is more likely to be a waste of either flash cycles or hard drive swooshes. Shooting on actual film these days is an increasingly esoteric pastime, given the quality of cameras like the RED EPIC (or however the hell you write it).

People do still refer to "footage", though, amusingly.

Megaphone due to the RED EPIC. PARDON?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Astroturf is always greener

Those who actually went obviously liked it an awful lot, because 30 percent of them have posted generally positive (and in one or two cases gushing) reviews on IMDB. A couple of the others kept themselves busy by chiding the Guardians reviewer for his negativity.

Whoever said no publicity is bad publicity might have changed their mind if they'd seen that trailer.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Didn't Seem So Bad

The trailer makes it look like many other made-for-tv romantic comedies (and that is probably where it will end up).

The cameo by Ramsey shouldn't really have any impact on it.

Would fit right in on Lifetime or the Hallmark cahnnel....

8. Anonymous Coward
    Megaphone

For the sequel

I suggest a swear-off between Ramsay and Samuel L Motherf*cking Jackson.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Good idea

But it must be a children's bedtime book.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

What a criminal spinned and twisted non-story

I see the Daily Mail running the same BS too.

Did Ramsey produce the film, write it, produce it? A main star?

No, No, No and No.

He makes fly by cameo appearance in a film and all of a sudden it's about him. Weak in the extreme.

1. Brezin Bardout

Indeed

It seems the Sun even struggled to pad it out to the six whole sentences of the article. I mean seriously, a national 'newspaper' using quotes from random Tweets and YouTube comments to substantiate some 'news'.

Oh well, I suppose if you're reading the Sun for anything that resembles news then you really are doing it wrong.

10. peyton?
    Happy

There is a need for this "genre" of cinema

It's no fun riffing on good movies!

11. Minophis
    Thumb Down

Good reviews on IMDB

The good reviews on IMDB seem to mostly be from America wher they lap up British romantic comedies like they were fecking Shakespeare. All it needs is a charmingly befuddled Hugh Grant walking past in the background and would win an Oscar.

£121!!! Those 1970's ads before the trailers for a flock wallpapered indian restaurant not 5 minutes from this movie theatre saw a better return.

1. Tegne
      Gimp

Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares USA is big over the pond too.

Where we can only manage 4 a year in the UK they do about 15 episodes each season in America. I love it. His cameo must be for the benefit of the Yanks.

2. Doug Glass
      Go

Oh not really.

But "Doc Martin" you can push our way any time and for the most part the same for "Torchwood".

12. IR

So

I thought it was some sort of a spoof trailer done by a comedy show. My mind is blown away.

13. Colin Miller
    Paris Hilton

Rotten Tomatoes

gave it 8%. For reference, Ms Hilton's Hottie or Nottie got 5%.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/loves_kitchen_2011/

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/hottie_and_the_nottie/

14. Atonnis

Well...

I just hope that this becomes a wake-up call to TV production companies that Gordon Ramsey is nothing but an annoying fu-ktard who gets way too much exposure and way too much money.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Piracy

has just been solved....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like