back to article Scottish Labour leader bets on email absolution

Scottish Labour leader Wendy Alexander is staking her political future on emails that she says prove that as soon as she knew about a gift to her campaign from a tax exile, she flagged it as potentially shady. She promised yesterday to make the files available to the Electoral Commission in a bid to clear her name in the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The knives are out, then...

"Of course I want you to stay but you must do what is best for your family,"

Trans: "Resign now before you are hounded to death by the baying press."

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

a pedant writes

time for another el reg proscription "administrated" - no such word, perhaps you mean "administered" ?

3. Chris Williams (Written by Reg staff)

Re: a pedant writes

Fixed, thanks Nick. I'm going outside now to be pelted with stale Dundee cakes.

- Chris

4. Spleen

Biblical

The Gord giveth, and the Gord taketh away. Blessed be the name of the Gord.

Wendy Alexander did bugger-all to become Scottish Labour leader so if she's done anything at all to be booted out, then the balance is not in her favour.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Of course I want you to stay but you must do what is best for your family,"

Can broadly be translated into 'the pearl-handled revolver is in the topmost drawer of your desk.'

6. Chris Morrison
    Flame

Pedant Writes 2

There is no such thing as Scottish Labour Leader (other than Gordon Brown). Just about every news outlet has this wrong (including the BBC I believe). The labour party are the only one of the scottish 'big 4' parties who do not have a scottish subsidiary party. Wendy Alexander is the Leader of the Labour Party in the Scottish parliament or the leader of the opposition (at this rate for a long time) in the Scottish parliament.

Chris

7. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

"If the glove don't fit, you must acquit"

... after her dramatic and unexpected acquittal today, Wendy Alexander gave a press conference on the steps of the courtroom, in which she announced she was going to dedicate her life to searching for "the real donor" ...

8. John A Blackley

Wicked Wendy

Isn't there quite a bit missing from this story?

This particular, nasty, typical Labour kitchen-sink drama's been staggering along for quite some time now (it's "got legs" right enough but they're blotchy, varicose-veined ones to be sure).

I recall reading in one of Scotland's finest fish 'n chip wrappers that Wicked Wendy had, in fact, written quite a nice Thank You note to the kind donor - and addressed it to his place of residence (in the Channel Islands, I think?). In a fit of amnesia that Canoe Man would be proud of, Wicked Wendy - of course - does not recall ever noticing the address.

Now, after many weeks of having to put up with the impertinence of the law-abiding - and with a barely-concealed "Ta-dah!" - Wicked Wendy bounces back with an MS Word metadata tag of 'Permissible?' in a file, on a computer, maintained by...........oh this is almost too yummy..........her husband!

Now, given that your average pol wouldn't recognise a computer if his callgirl dropped on on his willie I'm bound to suspect that whiffing words like 'tag' and 'metadata' all around the hallowed halls of The Shipwreck in Hollyrood is meant to do nothing more than quiet the hounds (chihuahuas, actually) currently baying (well, yipping, actually) for Wicked Wendy's resignation.

My oh my, it is pantomime season, isn't it?

9. Peter Thomas

Time for Wendy Alexander to resign

Since when has "Unintentional wrongdoing" been a defence in either English or Scottish law? Or is it a defence reserved exclusively for politicians?

10. ElFatbob

Labour displays....

all the arrogance of being in power too long.

I'm just waiting for the day that one of them is found in a wardrobe, in suspenders, tied up with an orange in their mouth.....

The Wendy henchman who 'sorted' this out for her is as trustable as 'Arfur Daly'. On resigning from Glasgow City Communistol, he announced that he had no political aspirations for the Scottish Parliament. Merely 6 months later he's up for a by-election!

He must've known that this was dodgy, but obviously thought 'we'll get away with it'.

She's responsible for the actions of her party. That's why she needs to go.......

11. lglethal Silver badge
    Stop

I have to ask the question...

(and please dear El Reg readers enlighten a poor aussie lad)

Why on earth would a person or company donate money to a political party unless they were planning on receiving something in return?

What does £950 get someone? A street named after them? A thank you letter and a reduction in council tax? 50% off selected party merchandise?

12. This post has been deleted by its author

13. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Records Management

The scottish government invested heavily in a records and e-mail management system, so e-mails can be seen as records now.

Unless they are made up and are in a personal inbox from mr_informer@yahoo.com to walexander1234@hotmail.com

What do you think official e-mail or not....?

This topic is closed for new posts.