back to article Opera 11.50 debuts with Speed Dial extensions

Opera has officially released a new version of its desktop browser – Opera 11.50 – adding widget-like "extensions" to the familiar Speed Dial page that appears each time you open a new tab. Previously, Speed Dial only offered thumbnails that linked you to oft-visited sites. But with Opera 11.50 – announced in the early …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Cool!

Some more stuff for the competition to copy :)

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Re: Cool!

One thing I hope the rest *DO NOT* copy are tab buttons which end before the top of the screen, when the window is maximised. This is horrible from an ergonomics point of view because it means you have to decelerate when approaching the button with the cursor.

Fitt's would be spinning in his grave!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fitts%27s_law

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Content Blocker Sync

Whilst Firefox fanboys all go mental over AdBlock+ which breaks more sites than it cleans, Opera's solution is far more elegant. The Content Blocker rules are sync'd between Opera installations.

If I block a banner ad (or site) in one Opera, all my other browsers I sign into are also blocked.

It means I don't need a massive and draconian blocking rule, I just have a lightweight rule that blocks the main offenders and the sites I visit.

There are some impressive performance improvements here, in Sunspider it beats Chrome and IE9 on my system and crucifies Firefox4.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Content Blocker Sync

"Whilst Firefox fanboys all go mental over AdBlock+ which breaks more sites than it cleans..."

Care to name a few sites that break with AdBlock+? I've used it for over three years without a single issue, which is hardly surprising seeing as any site issues which do occur get reported by a substantial user base.

3. Chris 171
    Coat

I'd happily still pay a Tenor

Lame jokes aside, Opera really is a quality product & deserves way more market share than it has currently in my opinion.

It certainly pays to buy in to the Nordic mindset & run it on all your web devices to get the maximum advantage from its services but having a fully synced web experience across Desktop, Laptop, Smartphone & Dumbphone works a treat for me.

Loaded with features that are genuinely useful & fast fast fast!

A happy user for a long time (since 4.x) & I dont see that changing.

Try it, you might like it.

4. spencer

Speed dial extensions

..sounds naff, actually bloody useful.

5. Nick
    FAIL

But...

...enabling Opera Link hangs the browser every minute or so. Just as it did in the previous version. No real sign of help from Opera techs.

I'd love to love Opera, but they make it so difficult.

1. Anonymous Coward
      WTF?

But?

Opera Link works fine here. Sounds like you broke your own PC.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Opera link

No freezing here on an old P4 XP system

6. Fr Barry
    Happy

And the best ...

... just got better

7. SteveBalmer
    Thumb Up

Opera 11.50

The browser which is a reward for those that are smart enough to not follow the sheep...

8. L.B
    Alert

Simple question about Opera & TheRegister

Is it just me that can never get TheRegister to look anything other than cr@p in Opera.

In FF, IE it looks pretty much identical, but in opera it is really naff with very odd backgrounds and utterly terrible layout. Most other sites render the same (NAMNO*) and that includes banks and other secure sites.

*NAMNO = "Near As Makes No Odds" as used by my physics teacher some time in the last century.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Opera and The Register

Nope, just you. renders fine here in several versions.

Sounds like you've either messed up your settings, site preferences, installed a user javascript that's breaking something, or have a third-party proxy/firewall that's being overzealous with Opera and butchering the markup it receives.

9. AlMac
    Thumb Up

It's just you

@ L.B. That's just you, it works fine for me every time.

Looking forward to trying out the new version in a bit. I just wish that Microsoft would stop being such tossers and actually allow their hotmail live services to work properly with it again.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like