back to article Lego Star Wars to be celebrated in TV special

George Lucas has picked up the building blocks again by readying a Lego Star Wars TV special, to broadcast sometime this autumn. The news was revealed when Comingsoon snapped a banner promoting the show at the Licensing International Expo 2011. The television special will apparently be created to compliment the ongoing series …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. DrXym

"Remastered" in 3D

The Phantom Menace wasn't a good film to start with so now it will suck in a new dimension. Or a half.

2D to 3D conversion involves constructing a primitive 3D representation of the scene to make a depth map and then digitally draping the image over the top of it, capturing views for left & right eye. At best it looks passable, at worst it looks like a diorama with cardboard cutouts appearing at various depths. Worse is that 2D films often cut between long & far shots and commit other depth / focus problems that cause eyestrain and headaches after being converted.

The best one could hope for is some of the ropier CG in The Phantom Menace gets remodelled and stuff like space battles, pod race etc can be rerendered natively in 3D but I expect most of the movie will get the crappy 2D conversion process.

2. Wize

Why lego?

Is it so they can use crap chunky graphics?

Talk about a TV program set up just to sell toys.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Have you seen the games?

The games are good, and the graphics in them are good. The story clips in II and III are excelent, indeed some of the story clips in II were priceless. Getting the story across with lego figures that can't speak made for some great creative leaps. Such as Darth Vader showing a family photograph to Luke to prove his point.

The games are much, much better than some of the spinoffs - such as the clone wars TV series so I have no problem with this. I certainly have less of a problem with it than I do Lucas' continual hashed up re-releases of the original material seemingly just to make more and more money when he already has more money than he could possibly need. This is certainly more original than just redoing the movies in 3D.

2. Captain TickTock
      Facepalm

Talk about a TV program set up just to sell toys...

Ermmm...

Have you watched children's programmes on commercial TV anytime in the last ...

anytime since the advent of children's programmes on commercial TV?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Paris Hilton

Like a bunch of geeks need advertising

to persuade us buy Star Wars LEGO toys..?

4. Ru
      Thumb Up

In their defense,

the cut-down (and blissfully silent) lego games for the prequel trilogy films were vastly better than the films themselves.

Put it this way; they managed to make Jar-Jar likeable and he made a valuable contribution to the heroes efforts. Not something Lucas managed.

1. James Hughes 1

Agreed

Currently playing another franchise game - Lego Pirates of the Caribean on the 3DS. It's really rather good. The Star Wars ones are also really rather good too. I can certainly see this working as TV programs.

3. deadbeef
    Gimp

Preview

And now, for your feature presentation: The classic RE-RE-RE-RELEASE of Star Wars: The Phantom Menace. In this version the entire cast has been digitally replaced by 3D Ewoks.

Fanboi icon coz it looks like C3PO to me.

4. Ken Hagan Gold badge
    Coffee/keyboard

Star Wars and Lego, so very new indeed.

You may laugh, but only yesterday my son suggested that Lucas should remake the original six films, but in Lego to match the games.

From his ten-year-old perspective, he has a point. The original films are ancient history and most of his generation have probably only watched them as a sort of cultural backdrop to the games and toys they are familiar with. Perhaps George has realised this and is even now working to "fix" his youthful error of using human actors when it would so obviously have made more sense to use the merchandising characters throughout.

Yeah, I know. I now *owe* EVERYONE a new keyboard.

5. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Thumb Down

"George Lucas has picked up the building blocks again by readying a Lego Star Wars TV special"

That should read :

"George Lucas has found one more excuse to milk the endless souvenir pit of his fans once again by destroying yet another successful thing associated with Star Wars and will produce a Lego Star Wars TV special which has the potential to suck slightly less than his previous attempt, the widely embarrassing Star Wars Christmas Special. The horror will be unleashed some time this automn, and hopefully will not destroy too many budding careers."

There, corrected it for you.

6. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

3D?

Until we can walk around a little Princess Leia appearing on our desks saying "Help me Obi Wan", then we WON'T HAVE 3D!!

Current "3D" is just 2D with a slimmer wallet, squinty eyes and a head-ache.

7. Lockwood

I don't understand this article

Can we please have a Playmobil reconstruction to demonstrate this?

8. Graham Bartlett

Star Wars actors

Hey, actors that are just chunks of dead plastic. Finally we have something that gives Mark Hamill a benchmark to compete against.

1. JEDIDIAH
      Devil

Darth Amadeus

> Hey, actors that are just chunks of dead plastic. Finally we have something that gives Mark Hamill a benchmark to compete against.

Cue the hysterical Mozart laugh...

9. IR

Yay

I can't wait to watch the tv show of the video game inspired by combining a plastic building-block toy with the merchandise of a film series.

10. tom 24
    Thumb Down

I don't want to get in trouble...

OK, so while the very first Lego Star Wars was pretty good, everything that has happened since Lucas noticed that it existed can be described in one word. However, I don't know the reg policy on one-word comments, so I've explained myself here. Oh, that word?

Yaaaaaawn.

11. Ossi
    Happy

Cool!

Will they do Death Star Canteen?

1. Kajiki
      Thumb Up

Damn!

Beat me to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv5iEK-IEzw

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like