back to article Telstra goes hi def for voice

Telstra has become the first Australian carrier to deploy "high definition" voice calling on a mobile network. Supplied as part of vendor Ericsson’s deployment of the Next G network, HD Voice uses the WB-AMR (Wideband Adaptive Multi-Rate) speech codec versus the existing NB-AMR (Narrowband AMR). WB-AMR has been adopted as an …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No more white noise - are you sure about that?

Comfort noise is usually intentionally added in silences to maintain confidence that communications are still working, even during the 'silence' on Remembrance Sunday - https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Comfort_noise

1. Lyle Dietz
      Alert

Comfort Noise

I haven't looked at all the specs, but wouldn't comfort noise be generated on the receiving end? I seem to remember reading something that said the transmitting end just has to transmit packets that indicate that it has nothing of worth to send but really is still there.

Warning because I may be talking out of my arse...

1. Goat Jam

Yes

That is pretty much it.

So, having so called "HD" voice then applying white noise at the receiving end would fall dead centre into the "WTF are they thinking?" scale.

2. Magani
    Unhappy

HD Voice - a solution looking for a problem?

Can't say I've ever had a problem with white noise. This isn't a HiFi 20-20k medium after all.

I think they'd be better off putting their money into a 'high definition' help line. Their current help line is farcical.

3. Goat Jam
    Paris Hilton

Oh Goody

"HD" voice. How excellent.

Whatever must be next out of the marketing buzzword grab bag?

I hear everything is going "3D" at the moment.

It's all the rage apparently.

Although I must say I'm glad that "turbo" has been on the wane of recent years.

4. Graham Wilson
    FAIL

Shame Telstra doesn't try 'High Definition' service. Customers would much prefer that.

Hi-definition audio it may well be, shame Telstra doesn't have high-definition service.

High-definition service would be where one didn't have to wait 2 or more hours on the phone every day for the better part of a week, be shoved from continent to continent between call centres and where the customer wasn't treated as an amoeba with a minus-10 IQ.

5. Tim Bates
    FAIL

But what about echo?

I've never been in a mobile phone call and thought, "boy I wish this was clearer"... But I have regularly thought, "I wish this bloody echo would bugger off!"

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like