back to article America demands definition of fourth generation

A bill before the US congress will require mobile operators to state which technology they're providing, and how fast it is, as well as formally defining what's meant by "4G". The "Next Generation Wireless Disclosure Act" has been proposed by Anna Eshoo (rep for California's 14th District), and calls on network operators to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Red Bren
    Devil

Let me fix that for you...

"But one can't help feeling the act faces an uphill battle in getting the FCC to monitor operators, given the likely back-handers and lobbying by the telecoms industry."

The idea of bit-pipe providers competing on actual delivery rather than empty promises of "unlimited" connections at up to unachievable speeds will never catch on.

1. mhenriday
      Big Brother

The best Congress,

president, governor, etc, etc, money can buy....

Henri

1. Fatman
        Childcatcher

RE: The best ...

Ahh, another one who is familiar with the old adage: "Money Talks, Bullshit Walks".

I bet those telco "campaign contributions" are going to get results. Remember, 2012 is an electioin year.

2. Rob 5

Truth in Advertising

Having lived here a few years now, it's become apparent that the "Truth in Advertising " law doesn't do what I (rather naively) thought it did.

It appears that (in common with many US laws) it does the exact opposite of what it sounds like. That is, makes it a Federal felony to tell the truth in an advertisement.

1. Charles 9

Someone needs a new TIA law.

...and this time, make it ABSOLUTE truth. On the grounds that ads are essentially a firm pleading a case before the public, make any bonafide advertisement (as compared to word-of-mouth which is subject to rumor) used in the US (be it print, media, or Internet) face the same legal scrutiny as a witness in a court case. The ad must tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. Furthermore, all claims pertaining to variable things, such as speeds and so on, must be stated in conservative terms (like the bill's insistence on MINIMUM speed postings) and any testimonials shown in ads and so on should only show TYPICAL results.

3. Steven Roper
    Coat

Anna Eshoo!

Gesundheit!

4. Neil Hoskins
    Thumb Up

Can we please...

...have a sub-heading of the month vote.

1. nyelvmark

Sub-heading of the month

I think Lewis clinched that one yesterday:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/06/23/hellads_ga_contract/

5. Mage Silver badge
    Mushroom

LTE, 4G and spectrum

It's about amount of spectrum and cell density.

Without multiple 20MHz channels and about x10 as many masts no mobile technology can give broadband speeds when there are a reasonable number of users.

So HSPA+ is 4G if you have about 16x as many 5MHz channels as present and about x9 as many masts. LTE isn't 4G really at all if same amount of bandwidth and number of masts as 3G.

Basically Mobile will never be "broadband". It's not about a new technology, it's about economics. No-one will build enough masts.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

also

Should also have included what 'unlimited' really means and what it should mean legally... as in not capped or speed throttled.

7. Terry Cloth
    Holmes

You mean something like this?

@also:

``(B) in the case of service for which a flat rate is charged for service over a given time period—

(i) the flat rate; and

(ii) a detailed description of any limits on the use of such service over such time period, by volume of data sent or received or otherwise.'''

The bill is actually amazingly easy to read, and meaningful to boot. Props to the legislative aides who worked on this one.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like