back to article Winklevoss twins drop Facebook settlement appeal

Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss have decided not to appeal against a ruling upholding the twin brothers' $65m settlement with Facebook, after a long-running dispute with the company's founder Mark Zuckerberg. The brothers, whose fight with Zuckerberg was dramatised in the Hollywood movie The Social Network, lost an appeal in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Pint

Zuckerberg brought in Samuel Jackson?

It was about time.

2. Zog The Undeniable
    Thumb Up

Sanity prevails

Because, given the likely value of their existing FB shares at an IPO, they would never be able to spend it all in their lifetimes, even given the pharmaceutical predilections of Keith Richards.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

This story...

..is just like staring into a barrel full of rats, feeding off and attacking each other, though I doubt rats would lower themselves to these guy's level.

1. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge

These rats ...

Maybe fighting for rights, restitution or compensation is an unseemly business but I wouldn't deny anyone their right to pursue such things.

These "rats" do seem to have validity in their cause given their winning the earlier court case. Whether they think the award was sufficient, whether worth continuing to obtain more, is a matter for them. To suggest they are rat-like, are simply in it because they saw some money, thought they'd have a slice of that, doesn't fit the bill.

1. Acme Fixer

Rats

Anyone (or anytwo) who try to take back a settlement agreement is, in my book, not a rat, but a snake. A two-headed one at that.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The title is required, and must contain letters and/or digits.

The only rat here is Zuckerberg - if he had an ounce of talent, he would not have had to steal someone elses idea.

And yet, the masses love him. That is the world today.

1. Danny 14

nah

its more like heroin. They get hooked and cant stop. The best move is not to play.

2. Rex Alfie Lee

One cannot argue his genius...

The fellow is an indefensible jerk, of this few would doubt but he is also a genius. His brilliance took the original idea way beyond the capabilities of the original owners who were initially going to limit it to one university. Zuckers took it to the world & the world loves being connected. They got paid & way more than they probably deserved.

Damn shame we aren't using a better resource, WAVE which was originally intended for programmers. Much more secure & much more limiting in the way information is shared. Zuckers has too much control & bcoz he wrote most of it can disrupt it. He should be removed from it before he does something else or perhaps locked up & the key chucked away...

4. Mike Flugennock
    Coffee/keyboard

Now, let me get this straight...

These guys scored $20m in cash and $45m in stock, and they're _appealing_? Isn't that a little like hitting the Powerball number and then complaining that you only won twenty million bucks? Christ.

Still, I also suspect that they called off their appeal because they got tired of hearing the waves of snickering in the courtroom every time a judge or attorney uttered the name "Winklevoss".

5. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Sung by Mr. Zuckerberg, to the tune of "Edelweiss"

Winklevoss, Winklevoss

Every morning you sue me

Petty and white, give up the fight

You have no chance to beat me.

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. Acme Fixer
    IT Angle

'Bout Time

There's an old adage, "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth." Perhaps these two fools finally heeded that advice.

Oh, yeah -- from H.P.: "Draco Dormeins Nunquam Titillandus"

8. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Enough?

How much money do these two need?

1. Giles Jones Gold badge

As much as Mark

They want as much or more than Zuckerberg obviously.

It's just insane jealousy.

9. XMAN

Hoping for out of court settlement?

Perhaps they were just hoping for an out of court settlement to be offered. It didn't come so they gave up?

Who knows!

10. Head
    Thumb Down

Hmmm

What a shame they called it a day.

I don't think i would have given in at all if my idea was stolen from me, and then i was lied to about just how much money i was entitled to (as these two were).

11. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Happy

Oh the *injustice*

Barely $10m a piece in cash and only $45m in bits of paper*

Hmm.

I wonder what a sting quartet of the worlds smallest violins would look like.

IIRC the writer of QDOS, which MS bought up, relabel DOS and sold to IBM, got about $50k.

*when is the IPO due now?

12. LPF
    Thumb Up

With an IPO coming up

Look to a small line item in the accounts , with say $100 go away money being paid out to them. When you have got an IPO estimated to be worth $60 billion , 100 mil is nothing

13. Piercy
    FAIL

quit moaning its how IT works..

all moaning if zuckerburg had talent blah blah blah. Lets give you a history of the IT industry. Apple stole from xerox. Microsoft stole from apple. now zuckerburg stole from winklevoss. It how stuff works and always has done.

go learn some history..

1. Minophis
      Stop

re quit moaning its how IT works..

What eaxactly did Zuckerburg steal?

1. There were plenty of social networking sites and the only thing that made the Winklevoss' idea different is the exclusivity that doesn't exist on Facebook. Hardly stealing.

2. The Winklevoss twins' site would have been deliberately limited to one university (Havard). If Facebook had stolen and stuck with this idea it would be worth approximately fuck all. and the Winklevoss' share of that would be a very small percentage of fuck all.

3. The Winklevoss twins didn't write a single line of code. Zuckerburg did. They just came up with an idea and expected someone else to do the work to impliment it. They made millions out of it so they should just shut the hell up and be grateful.

I don't like Mark Zuckerburg, he has no respect for personal privacy and the frequent stealth changes to Facebook account settings show this. He rreally needs someone to explain the meaning of 'None of your damn buisiness!!!'. However that said he is far more deserving of and responsible for the success of Facebook than the Winklevoss twins who clearly have no cause for appeal.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like