back to article How to carve up the Digital Dividend?

Ofcom has discovered that the general public would like to see more TV channels, but not on their phones, when analogue TV is switched off. Meanwhile, Brussels suggests the regulator should handing over half the spectrum released to the EU Commission. The frequencies being released by the analogue switch-off are nicely placed …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jon G

What "Digital Dividend is this then ?

I'd like to point out that there is no "Digital Dividend" for the public - merely the unnecessary cost and trouble having to switch over from what for many people is the perfectly adequate analogue system to the more expensive, complicated and unnecessary "Digital" system.

Any "Digital Dividend" will be in the form of license money paid to the Goverment and hardware manufacturers selling STB's and Digital TV's.

2. Fluffykins Silver badge

Let's see then.

The last time a chunk of the RF spectrum was auctioned off, it was to the mobile phone companies.

These sweet little organisations decideed that they could make a huge profit from the available space and duly bid a fortune for their chunks.

Strangely, it is now us, poor folk, who are having to stump up to pay for this expression of corprorate greed, in the form of our mobile phone contracts. (how much DOES it actually cost the networks for one to have a mobile conversation?)

Well, we now have another chunk of the RF spectrum up fo rgrabs.

I'd be willing to bet there's a similar view that the profit potential is huge, so the price realised will be commmensurately high.

Hopefully this time, it will be the TV to mobile services, Brussels, and the rest who win with services that, ultimately, people simply won't want, leaving a large amount of egg on the faces of those who've bid for it.

3. Chris Miller

Say it's not so!

So people don't want to watch crap TV on a two inch screen? Who'd'a thunk it!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

WTF???

Does the EU want from "owning" spectrum?

Voice of Europe will shortly be broadcasting into your home, as described by Orwell.

5. Fred

oh well

off back to SA i go then....

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"the EU want from "owning" spectrum?"

As I read it, they are aiming for broadly similar frequency allocations across Europe, rather than having everything randomly scatterblasted across whatever pockets of frequencies manufacturers can buy up.

It makes sense to me that most of EU has a band for DECT and a band for cordless speakers etc -- not because I want to transmit from England to France (the range is less than 200 metres) but because I know that equipment from any EU country will work here too. Economies of scale, etc bringing cheaper prices.

Equally, its not obvious that the highest bidder for a piece of bandwidth is necessarily the one that's going to most benefit the public. Completely the opposite, in fact. The successful bidder should be the one that promises to provide the BEST service at an ECONOMICAL cost. Ten to one, the company that's willing to bid over the top for the bandwidth is going to provide one of the most expensive services.

7. Paul Crawford Silver badge
    Thumb Down

Who wants more channels?

I don't want more TV channels, I want more worthwhile stuff to watch!

Oh, and why is digital TV worse than good analogue TV, and a big step down from standard resolution DVDs?

Yes, I know the answers. That was a rhetorical question to point out that we are consistently lied to that digital=better when in fact this is not the case (unless you have a lot of ghosting, where digital TV will be clearly better, and in low SNR digital will go blocky, which is not 'better' than speckles in my view).

Most of the pressure to change is simply in the belief that more money can be made by the government and the TV sellers. If they really want to make digital TV better for me, have it deliver standard DVD quality on most channels, as that would do better than a couple of premium priced HD-TV channels.

Or is that their whole plan, degrade 'standard' TV so that HD looks worth buying in to?

This topic is closed for new posts.