back to article BBC iPlayer graces BT's Vision

BT Vision has expanded its range of on-demand content by bringing BBC iPlayer to the platform. BT Vision Customers already had access to many BBC programmes through the TV Replay service, although full iPlayer integration means this is no longer necessary for BT Vision subscribers. The BT Vision TV Replay utility still …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ahh, another "open platform".

Have they allowed android yet?

1. Neil Livesey
      Thumb Up

Yup

Has been on Android for a few months now....

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

FINALLY

When I tried BT Vision one of the major stumbling blocks for me was that iPlayer wasn't available. I wasn't interested in any of the content outside of what was available on Freeview, but the box was a very capable PVR and available (at the time) for £30 with no monthly subsription.

What was paticularly annoying was that while iPlayer wasn't available, but BT were happy to charge for BBC content. I was never sure exactly how this fitted in with the whole way the BBC is supposed to work. How on earth could BT charge for BBC content for which we had already paid with our TV licence fee?

And the very fact that the box runs a variant of windows should mean an iPlayer implementation was as easy as an easy thing. So presumably the only reason it wasn't there was that BT wanted to make more money out of BT Vision customers.

3. David 155

xbox 360 release soon then?

because i remember the reasoning for it not previously happening being that the bbc wouldnt agree to it because Microsoft wanted it to be Gold members only and the bbc said it must be free.

4. MJI Silver badge

Does this mean quality drop?

IPlayer is not as good as BTV.

Will this be sorted?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Holmes

The title is required, and must contain letters and/or digits.

It's had this for several weeks now Reg...

1. Tony Smith, Editor, Reg Hardware (Written by Reg staff)

Re: The title is required, and must contain letters and/or digits.

So why hasn't BT told anyone until now?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Title

No idea - as a BT Vision subscriber, I've been able to use this for a month or two now (and they told us users it was launching back in April if I remember correctly!)

2. MrT

they've probably waited until...

...it was out on everyone's Vision box. I got an email a couple of months who to tell me to expect it, and about 3 weeks ago to say it was ready. Like their Homehub updates, they roll it out in stages.

It's not as smooth on playback as the Wii version though - probably because the Windows CE system inside Vision means it's about as powerful as an 8yr-old HP iPaq...

1. Elmer Phud

Wii v's BT

And you can't play with the iPlayer logo on BT vision

3. Ben Tasker

I've also had for weeks

But then I did get an automated phone-call telling me it was there, how to access it, and that I was one of the 'lucky' customers selected for early trials.

Perhaps thats why they hadn't told anyone? Because it's only recent it's gone to all users?

6. Jon Press

"dozens of platforms"

But not on Freeview HD unless the manufacturer builds an application into the set as, unlike Freesat, there's no "red button" service at present. Does make you wonder about the BBC's priorities. But, I guess BT probably forked out for the development costs...

7. Busby
    Thumb Up

Had mine for a lot longer than a few weeks

The reason BT didn't tell anyone is that it was being rolled out in stages and they didn't want to antogonise those who had to wait. Very lengthy thread on the subject on the BT forum but I have had my iPlayer via channel 990 for at least a few months now.

For the person asking about quality for me it's at least of the same standard as the rest of the vision content, not sure if it's quite HD but not far off.

Main plus point is that using BTV rather than the PS3 for iPlayer doesn't count towards bandwidth allocation.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

@"a variant of windows"

Windows CE, on which the BT Vision box is based, has nothing interesting in common with its better known relative.

Last time I checked, BT Vision was one of a very very very very limited number of "set top box" deals which had actually rolled out on Windows CE. I assumed that it had happened at BT because the deal had been arranged at or near CEO level; regardless of any technical merits (or otherwise) of WinCE as a set top box platform, regardless of any problems that may ensue, two glorious leaders had said "make it so", and therefore...

Are there many other examples of WinCE based set top boxes these days?

1. MJI Silver badge

Not as far as I know

And it takes 5 to 10 minutes to reboot.

Humax is Linux

Pace is just firmware

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like