back to article Leopard out, Tiger back in

I just downgraded from Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard to the previous release, Tiger. I'd had enough of a recurring glitch that left me looking at the spinning Beach Ball of Death right after Finder starts loading. The only way out: force the computer to power-down. Judging by the comments posted by Leopard users on Apple's support …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

I've upgraded three machines and it has been fine.

I'm sorry to hear of your problems. It's really frustrating to not be able to upgrade to such an anticipated version.

I've updated an Intel iMac, a mini (with 512 MB), and a MacBook Pro without any problems. I'm expecting to continue doing it for the rest of my department's 200 computers. We'll see.

2. Tony Smith, Editor, Reg Hardware (Written by Reg staff)

Re. upgrades

Absolutely - and as I say in the piece, I know plenty of people who've upgraded entirely successfully. There's no reason I can see why it *shouldn't* work for me, but it don't.

And I guess the piece is also my nod to all the folk I've metaphorically sneered at in the past who have made similar complaints about OS upgrades while I've sailed on the new version without any trouble at all.

My complacency has come to bite me on the rear end.

The moral of the story: don't get cocky, and take care.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

"It just works."

Except when it doesn't, apparently.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Log entries

I had problems with Spotlight and TM too. Looking at the system log, the Spotlight indexer kept crashing. TM would abort for no apparent reason. Turning Spotlight off caused the existing indices to be removed, and when re-activated, all was well again.

5. PIB

Re: Leopard out, Tiger back in

"And I guess the piece is also my nod to all the folk I've metaphorically sneered at in the past who have made similar complaints about OS upgrades while I've sailed on the new version without any trouble at all."

I wish more people would adopt that attitude.

I've often felt extremely frustrated with my smooth transition to Win Vista, whereas I'd had abysmal problems with Win XP sr2. Would anyone listen? Of course not.

6. Gary Reed
    Happy

Power MAC no issues

I have installed on all my system; a powerbook and a G5 tower. Plus several family members and friends system. That around 10 systems mostly g4, g5 and two intel. No issues. Plus I know of no one personal having any issue with OS 10.5. Which leads me to believe that many of the issues are more userside than the OS 10.5. Let's face it we all install application free and shareware on our system. Many of these applications have not been upgrade for 10.5. Which can cause strange issue that people feel it is easier to blame the OS than to hunt down that little app. My suggestion would be to do a CLEAN INSTALL OF OS 10.5. Dump the junk on you system.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

Re: Power MAC no issues

Typical 'Macolyte' comments there - blame the user and not Apple's shoddy OS.

Obviously Tony is not smart or 'cool' enough to own / use a Mac properly.

8. alexander Knight
    Alert

sql and ioncube

had to downgrade too.. many problems with sql and ioncude not running as they used to and needing to be upgraded. i am a smart connection enterprise user and need both of these things to run seamlessly. i did not even know what ioncube was before i upgraded....

9. David Higgins

Try this...

Tony, I had a similar problem with my iMac G5/ 1.8MHz system. The fan would roar shortly after startup, and then the system would become unresponsive. I ran the Apple Hardware Test from the restoration CD which revealed a defective RAM module. When I exchanged the module, everything worked like an Apple should. Flawlessly. Give it a try. That would be a simple fix.

David

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Leopard is clearly the worst Mac OS/X release to date ...

... because it doesn't "just work" ...

My own experience with two G4 Macs (one iBook and one deskside tower) has been very poor. They're both slower with lots of interminable Spinning Pizzas of Death and my laptop has crashed/hung about eight times since I installed leopard -- about five times with the 10.5.1 update installed. (These hang/crashes almost all occured when I open the lid and it never returns from sleep.)

I haven't investigated why these problems are happening but it's definitely been the worst Mac OS/X upgrade experience I've ever had. And it's put a stall on my purchase decision for a new Mac.

Also, I have to say that the new software upgrade system truly sucks. It's non-obvious what's happening and it forces you to do the upgrade durring a System Restart which leaves the machine unusable while I wait for progress on the install.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Leopard ok on my G5. BUT is a total loss on my intel macbook

I installed Leopard on a G5 imac and it has been fabulous. I have had my intel macbook since summertime. It was a fabulous machine and ran well with Tiger. After upgrading it to Leopard, I have had no end of trouble. first was the cut and paste which didn't. then the wireless connection kept cutting out (when another machine on the network wasn't.) Then Soho notes failed to export multiple note. Then the menu bar at the top of the screen started blacking out for several minutes after boot. Then my shift key stuck then the num lock. finally the ethernet connection (which I was using because the wireless connection kept craping out) - that started droping out too. I have had it.

Tiger is going to make a comeback on my macbook and leopard is out out out.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Leopard rocks

This is about Leopard, but bear with me ...

As a long term Windoze user (I started in the days of Windows for workgroups 3.11) and upgraded through every flavour to XP and have installed Vista for friends (I also ran my own Linux based web hosting business for 7 years) I must confess I was a long time Mac Basher!

Back in 1999 I bought myself one of those (at the time!) pretty looking strawberry flavour iMac's thinking it was going to be the best thing since bread got sliced, only to sell the thing at a loss 3 weeks later after no end of crashes and hanging problems.

About 18 months ago I decided to buy myself a Dual 1.8 Ghz G5 PowerMac, and joy of joy I found myself using tiger for the first time and after 5 solid hours was a convert, I read somewhere that once you go Mac you never go back, and I'm ashamed of myself for being a reformed Mac basher, but at least I saw the light.

I'm no expert (an ex is a has been and a spurt is a drip under pressure!) but I know a little about computers and feel well positioned to comment nowadays without any bias, and hand on heart any PC users out there who are still to this day Mac Bashing, please take the time to go and use one of these babies, because the joy of using my little G4 12" Powerbook, or my swanky brand spanking new replacement for my Dual G5, a Dual core 24" iMac in silver and black, quiet, sleek, sexy and should the awful need arise the capability to run Windoze XP (and surprisingly in 18 months I've never found anything I needed to go back to XP to do even though I was die hard PC!).

Okay, like a good Billy Connolly joke, I now get back to the subject to hand, that being Leopard, well all I can say is that my little G4 power book and the new beast of an iMac upgraded flawlessly and work like a dream, and time machine is without a doubt the BEST backup software invented to date.

As someone who loves the stability of Linux and still use it to host my companies web sites (I'm a web deisgner nowadays!) I always wanted a version of Linux that was as plug and play as windows, with off the shelf packages that were as good as or better than the Windows ones I loved (things like dreamweaver, fireworks, Photoshop, Outlook).

Well OS X and in particular Leopard scores 10/10 for me, okay it will have bugs initially (like In-Design CS3 wouldn't work anymore) but show me a windows O/S that is even half as bug free as leopard and I'll show you the day Microsoft was bought out by Apple, because truly, it's superb.

I suspect that there is something wrong with some people's hardware, or incompatibilities with particular models of machine, but this I'm sure will be ironed out, after all Tiger was wonderful, so Leopard is bound to be better.

XP took years to get stable, and no doubt it's still the best software to have left Redmond's secret programming labs, and it was the best O/S i'd ever used and I praised it day to day, but come one people (yes you know who you are Windoze phreaks) give Apple a chance, try Leopard and if you seriously aren't impressed then don't bother buying Vista which is your current upgrade path, cos boys they've just about tried and failed to rip off pretty much everything apple has put into OS X, can't wait to see the next version of Vista, is 'Time Vault/Traveller/Backup' the next big new thing to come from the imagination of Bill's Boys!

Leopard Rocks...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like