back to article Nokia unveils eco phone and planet-friendly charger

No sooner had Nokia’s executives leapt onto the stage at today's opening of the giant's annual NokiaWorld shindig than assembled hacks were presented with a new, eco-friendly handset. Nokia 3110 Evolve Nokia's Evolve: half the front can be recycled The 3110 Evolve is a dual-band GSM/GPRS handset which Nokia claimed has …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ash

50% of the front fascia is recyclable?

Is that it? What about the metals used in the elctronics? The glass used in the display and camera lens? The OTHER plastics used?

What are they made out of?

Recycling is only performed on materials where a profit can be made, or the facilities at least break even. It's the benefit of living in capitalist society. If we want to make any difference at all, we have to be willing to pay for it.

It's blatantly obvious that nobody but the hippy tree-huggers are, and even most of them use paper manufactured in factories for their plaquards.

2. The Other Steve

Eco friendly my hairy bum.

But then, "Eco-fractionally less harmful" doesn't have quite the same ringtone to it.

Still, if everyone joins in, maybe we'll save a baby whale or something.

3. Bad Beaver
    Black Helicopters

uhm.. 50%?!

It's nice to see Nokia return to simpler, more reduced and elegant designs while upping the feature count. Nevertheless, I concur with the notion that not only should phones be made of nearing 100% recyclable materials, they should also actually BE recycled once done with and consist of material that came from recycling processes in the first place. The whole recycling thing is nothing but a cruel joke if nobody actually does it, just as RoHS is a cruel joke.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Nokia with a cr*p talk time

no change there then... my nokia 6110 is lucky to make 2 hours...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

50% recyclable

But the other 50% is made of depleted uranium and sperm whale blubber.

6. JeffyPooh

Try to concentrate...

Livestock (methane) = 18% of CO2 equivalents (*)

Concrete = 10 to 15% of global CO2 emissions

Cell phones = 0.0007853% of anything (**)

(* Livestock alone: larger than ALL transport COMBINED)

(** A completely made-up number, probably too high...)

Window dressing. A False Finishing Touch. Premature Eco-jakulation.

7. Rob

Coltan?

I'd be more impressed if they could certify the coltan in the phone was recycled, which would cut down on the damage to the Congo, which is the source of 80% of the coltan and one of the main funding sources for the civil war.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Incorrect

"Although the 3110 Evolve’s design hasn’t changed much from 3110 Classic, it adds a 1.3-megapixel camera with 8x digital zoom."

Wrong, the 3110 Classic one of those as well.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like