back to article Cloud: Do Reg readers care?

Our thanks to all of you who took part in our recent El Reg Cloud survey. Our research partner Dale Vile of Freeform Dynamics has written up a study based on the results - it's free to download and no registration is required. Here are some choice cuts: Key findings range from the blindingly obvious: ‘…ambiguous and wildly …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Code Monkey
    Alert

Don't Trust

For me it's more "don't trust" than "don't care". I can't be the only one.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

Absoltuely

And try getting them to commit to a 72 year retrievable archive as demanded by our insurance company.

Usual answer 'Oh we only keep backups for 48hrs' or there so. Best backups/archiving I found when I was looking for straight forward virtual machine hosting was 60 days.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Pirate

"For me it's more "don't trust" than "don't care". I can't be the only one."...and you're not.

I don't trust ANY cloud provider with sensitive data.

3. Will Godfrey Silver badge

One of ten currently :)

4. beep54
      Happy

cloud

I think I have been in the cloud before they named it. I have hundreds of gigbytes in MediaFire

2. Thomas 4

Cloud services are notoriously unreliable

If he's not blowing up Mako reactors, he's harping on endlessly about his past.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

P**s on the the cloud[1]

I don't trust any company to hold my data.[2.]

[1.] Figuratively speaking of course.

[2.] Amazon - US Gov - Wikileaks for example.

4. spencer
    Thumb Down

"this study was sponsored by Microsoft"

I stopped reading then.

Not because it's Microsoft, but because it was sponsored by a company with vested interests.

Why not bump up your readership with genuine, original research?

1. Criminny Rickets
      Facepalm

Vested Interest

Just because Microsoft has a vested interest doesn't mean they should not be allowed to commission a survey. As long as it is done with a reputable third party and the results are reported accurately, it should not matter. I have seen surveys and polls commissioned by companies with a vested interest, and they accurately reported the results, even when they were not very favourable to the company commissioning the survey.

5. MrCloud
    FAIL

I had a quick look and ......

Figure 2. looks a bit funny.

Looks like the key colours are upside down???

6. b166er

Naysayers

Suspicious Git, perhaps you're confusing cloud services with backups?

As I understand it, cloud services are about availability and reduced management costs.

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
      Unhappy

Sure

... and when the remote server in outer mongolia goes down, so will your costs 'cos you'll be out of business!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Facepalm

Oh no I am not!

Paddy with a swing shovel hits a fibre somewhere or a ship drags an anchor not to mention a DOS attack on the provider and there goes all of your availability. All have bought down great chunks of that reliable cloud connector 'the Internet' in the past, redundant paths may work in theory but if you take a big enough pipe out it all gets very badly disrupted.

3 days + to fix and no data access worth a damn even if you can get some sort of 3G link to work.

Creek - paddle springs to mind.

7. jason 7
    FAIL

Cloud?

A customer of mine has just managed to upload 250Gb of his data 'to the cloud'.

Only taken three months.

Just doesnt work for many cases.

Its like other bullshit hype words, Web2.0 etc. etc.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Dark clouds on the horizon

Observation - on an average day the word cloud seems to feature on the reg frontpage at least 3 times.

Like the first poster I do not think it would be wise to trust your company secrets to a 3rd party, especially a 3rd party who might be beholden to nosey governments who are themselves operating in fascist collusion with large corporations.

Paris - because her head is permenantly in the clouds...

9. Allan George Dyer
    Pint

And the cloud is...

http://xkcd.org/908/

10. dephormation.org.uk
    Mushroom

Cloud: Do Reg readers care?

For me, the answer is an empatic no.

Its all about personal and commercial security.

I could elaborate, but I'm bored with the topic already.

11. Matthew Malthouse
    Flame

I wish I could

just say no.

But the PHBs have got the cloud bug.

When the bills come in exceeding the annual hardware budget I expect a Bean Counters vs PHBs spectacle to rival the best Godzilla movie.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Dilbert on the cloud

http://search.dilbert.com/comic/Cloud%20Computing

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like