back to article Motorola Milestone 3 no longer bound for Blighty

The Motorola Milestone 3 will not get a UK release, it has been claimed. Phone retailer Clove says it was told by Moto that there are no plans to bring the handset to UK telcos but admits this judgement may be subject to change. Just don't hold your breath. Motorola Milestone 3 It is widely speculated that poor sales of the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Paul 135
    WTF?

hardware keyboards rule

"Brits are supposedly not keen on slide-out Qwerty keyboards"

What the hell?!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've been waiting for the Sony Ericsson Xperia Pro to come out for months!!! I need this extra competition on the market in case the Xperia Pro turns out to be rubbish.

1. Ryan Clark
      WTF?

Me too

I waited until there was a winpho7 phone with a keyboard before getting my new work phone (had to be winpho7). On my 3rd phone with a folding/ sliding keyboard now.

Never understood why you want to lose half the screen while typing to an onscreen keboard or halve the screen size by having a blackberry style phone.

1. Thomas 4

There might be a reason for this

The keyboard on my original Milestone was a poorly put together piece of shit, with each key being nothing more than a rubber square glued roughly into place. From the looks of this latest one, it appears to be exactly the same.

2. Wize

Hardware keyboard FTW

"lose half the screen while typing to an onscreen keboard"

Or, in the case of Nokia (like the N8), lose all sight of the screen you are typing into.

I like buttons. The keyboard on the Nokia N97 was nice (shame about the rest of the phone). The Desire Z isn't quite as nice, but I suppose I'm still getting use to it.

The advantage of a keyboard is tactile feedback. Its harder to hit the wrong button as you can feel the edges as you press on them and skimming over the surface as you move between keys. I often get it out when I get frustrated at the small onscreen keyboard or predictive text getting in the way.

When I got my last one there was a choice of two Android phones with keyboards and now they have stopped one.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Defy

"Motorola has also put out an update for Defy owners to bring them up to Froyo. The Android 2.2 Defy update is available now"

Indeed this update has been available for some time. Problem is, on my T-Mobile Defy, if I get the phone to check for updates, it tells me that my phone is already up-to-date.

I'm guessing this is T-Mobile pissing about rather than Motorola. It's very poor service, whatever.

If anyone knows how to manually shove the update in, I'm all ears.

3. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

They just don't get it do they!

Its not that we don't like slideout qwertyness it just the phones are always poorly spec'd compared to their none keyboarded brethren and then theres the customised ui's, stop it; produce a phone the same as the nexus s and add a keyboard to it don't add your own ui and you'll make loads of sales.

4. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

It isn't the hardware

I love having a slide out qwerty. It is the appalling customer support from Motorola. I have the original milestone - their flagship when released and yet they cut support for it almost immediately. Myself and others had to fight with them on the forums to get any kind of meaningful answers. Updates kept getting pushed further and further back. Froyo delivered 12 months late. No bug fixes between releases ( I think there was one from 2.1 to 2.1.1 but that was it). No further updates to come now they have finally chucked froyo at us.

Before anybody asks, yes it is Motorolas fault for the delays. All updates for the milestone are supplied directly by them as it was sold in the UK without a carrier, so I wasn't waiting for t-mobile or vodafone to push the update out. It was just shoddy customer service from Motorola

Maybe Motorola should have a look at the real reason their sales are poor and don't blame the 'qwerty' layout. When I first got my phone I told everyone how great it was and how solidly built. I stand by my comments about the build quality but once it became apparent that Motorola don't give a stuff about their customers once they have your cash I stopped recommending it to other people and have myself sworn to never buy another Motorola product again, no matter how solidly built or nice looking.

5. Andrew 66

What are they on about?

I will never again buy a touchscreen phone WITHOUT a qwerty keyboard. I tried an E71, which was hideous typing on such a tiny thing, and I am still yet to be able to type a sentence without a mistake on my HTC Legend despite owning it for a year.

I'm desperately looking forward to something like the HTC Doubleshot appearing in the UK so I can have the proper keyboard from my TyTN II and S730 back!

And Motorola? Haven't realeased a good, or popular, phone since the RAZR, and that wasn't even very good...Nope, for me, having tried all the competition, it's HTC all the way - they remain the only manufacturer who's phone have physically lasted more than 6 months of my use...

6. John Robson Silver badge
    Coat

Bluetooth...

I now have a BT keyboard connected, then I can case my phone easily, and have a full sized (95% of laptop) keyboard when I need it...

Mine's the one with a folding kb in the pocket...

1. Andrew 66

Unfortunately...

...for me, and I suspect most people, having a separate keyboard just isn't practical - I'm hardly going to stop and sit down just so I can type a quick text message or email...

I have an Apple Bluetooth Keyboard for my Archos tablet, which is fantastic, but it's fantastic because I'm normally typing on my tablet when I'm sat down on the coach/train/bus what have you and have somewhere to rest the tablet...

And for what it's worth, folding keyboards are incredibly tricky to get hold of, expensive, and from my experience not of that good quality.

It really is a shame that decent phones with decent, proper keybaords are so rare...

7. Dapprman
    FAIL

You sure it's not just Clove ?

On reading earlier about the Desire Z being discontinued, the only articles I could find about it on the Net were either by Clove or referencing Clove. I would not be surprised if it's the same with the Milestone 3.

So one retailer (whom to be honest I'd not previously heard of) says it's so, but no one else including HTC and Motorola ? ....

8. Dave 49

FFS...

Make something that's rubbish, and people won't buy it. The Desire Z was rubbish - why did HTC have to make that the phone that got only the 800MHz processor when the standard Desire and the Desire HD both got 1GHz chips? Why did the Z only have a 3.7" screen, when the HD had a deliciously large 4.3"? The keyboard was the only good feature the Z had, and even the build quality of that was dubious. The price premium for this cut-down but keyboard-enabled phone was ridiculous.

Ultimately, when they offer us something that's not good enough, we're either going to lower our standards, or buy something completely different. Had they given the Z a decent size screen, a decent CPU, and sold it at a decent price, they'd have sold at least one more. As for the Motorola, I didn't know it was available in the UK. Motorola's marketing team should be shot and dumped in the sea.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like