back to article Samsung UE40D6530 LED 3D TV

When it comes to features, Samsung’s UE40D6530 40in LED telly doesn’t skimp on anything much. Freeview HD, 3D, Video on Demand, Skype, integrated web browser, social media apps, media streaming, PVR recording to external hard drive – it’s all here. This isn’t so much a TV as an all in one entertainment centre. And priced at £ …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nice box

shame about the content (programs that is)

2. flyboy
    Megaphone

Network streaming problems typically down to DLNA server

I own an older Samsung TV, and I've found that network streaming problems are actually down to the DLNA server used (and not the TV). The best I have found is http://www.serviio.org, which works great with almost every encoding and container (HD MKVs), and other TVs too; it is now being recommended by Sony. It can also work on many platforms and OSs, I highly recommend it.

1. Jason Hall

@flyboy

I have been using this to fix my problems: http://www.tvmobili.com/

May be worth giving your choice a try.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Meh

Why such a low score?

Looking at the headline 80% score you would think there is something of merit wrong with this screen.

BUT reading through I can't see anything wrong aside from the 3D which lets be honest is ever going to be a gimmick at the moment ;-)

So were we having a bad day?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Stop

Low Score

80% is not a low score. You've been conditioned by years of high marking in the media.

If you use a rating system of 0-100% then surely an average product should get 50%? It utterly devalues the scoring system to suggest anything above 75% should be for anything other than exceptional products.

You can't just go around throwing around high scores with abandon otherwise when you do come across a truly great screen what do you do?

It's like GCSE's. They got so devalued that they had to start giving A Star marks because the threshold to get A's was too low but they couldn't hurt the poor little darlings feelings.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Facepalm

El Reg Scoring does not work that way.

El Reg scores are an arbitrary whim at best, and nonsense most of the time. The average score is ~80% - this TV is average.

4. Andrew Hodgkinson
    FAIL

Kwality Kontrolle

Page 1, last screenshot.

"Film ↦ Animation".

Good to see the software testing's up to par. Too hard to run even your portal content through an HTML validator, is it? Sigh. Pass thanks.

5. Dropper

3D seems to be crap

Seems that 3D gets the thumbs down for most TVs these days, which is fair given that the price of the TV appears to double with a feature that's nothing more than a gimmick right now. A slightly older 40" Samsung 1080p with most of the same features would cost no more than $800 (about 500 quid), and probably a lot less if you wait for a decent sale. If you went for LCD rather than LED then you could get a 46" version for that same $800, but you'd also probably be missing most of the internet features too.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

LCD

This *is* an LCD TV. It merely has led backlighting, and not even RGB LEDs...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

LED TVs

Are there any true LED TVs - and if so, how are they marketed ?

6. Kevin

What is "Native Motion Resolution"

and this 875 lines business? I have never heard of this before.

7. Marcus Aurelius
    WTF?

Slim for the sake of it

Surely having to use 'break out connectors defeats the whole point of a slim tv in the first place?

8. Martin
    FAIL

Sooo....you pay a grand for a TV....

...and when you get it home, you are expected to fiddle with the settings to get the picture to your liking?

Look, when I pay a grand for a telly, I expect the settings to be right. If I go to the cinema, they just get it right, don't they? Why on earth can't it just be right for a TV?

The difference with audio is stark. When you spend less on a sound system, it tends to come with multiple audio adjustments to try to fiddle the sound to be a bit better. When you pay a lot for your system, it comes with a volume control and that's it. To my mind, it should be the same for visual systems - you turn it on, and it looks great - full stop.

(I'd accept a bit of adjustment for a bright or dark room, but that's all...)

1. Citizen Kaned

but...

there is no one-size-fits all. i can configure my TV to be perfect in regards to test cards and all that jazz, but games on ps3 appear too dark, blu-ray looks fine. HD looks fine but SD not so much. the thing is with all the video sources available you configure it to suit what you watch and where (sun/shade, HD/SD, you like colour/not so much etc etc) do you want motion processing to smooth older DVDs or leave it off as blu-rays dont really need it? same with noise: process it out for SD or leave for HD?

now, the question really should be shouldnt TVs know the source and you can configure it for that. i find it annoying on my denon/B&W system that dolby digital channels are much quieter than pro-logic/stereo. surely the TV can suss out the compression and sizes (SD/HD) and sort this out!

at the end of the day i have never bought a tv and been happy with the presets. also remember that everyone has slightly different eyes and preferences. i hate too much colour, some people saturate to hell...

1. Martin

No one-size-fits-all?

How do cinemas stay in business, then?

1. Citizen Kaned

seriously?

the configure it for HD content in a dark room. obviously a cinema with no windows always showing the same type of film quality doesnt need to do much tweaking on a daily basis. for those of us who watch tv, movies and play games in dark and light rooms have a fair bit more scope for adjustment

9. Tom_

Seven series

If you do a bit of googling, you can get the UE40D7000 for just under the price that the Reg lists for this TV. That way you get freesat built in as well and (I think) it comes with a pair of specs.

1. Marcus Aurelius
      Joke

Reg Prices and real prices

...are often unrelated, even the Reg often admits the "value on the street" is lower than the RRP they normally quote, sometimes to the tune of a few hundred quid (or one Helen Wood session in alternate Reg units)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like