back to article Pixmania users report scam-spam bombardment

Several Reg readers have complained to us about receiving spam emails directed at addresses they had exclusively supplied to Pixmania, the online consumer electronics retailer. The incidents of spam – reported by four Reg readers, and numerous other users on various online forums (as a quick Google search reveals) – have …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. John Miles

Could be malware?

Sending spam to everyone (including mailing list) in an address book?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Add Quidco to that list too.

Addresses I ONLY use for Quidco have started to recieve all sorts of scams and spam. They clearly sold my details on to however was willing to pay.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Could be anything

They wouldnt be the first to sell their users data and they certainly arent going to be the first big company to get h4x0rd.

If they cough to this, though, they could be the first company to own up to either of the above.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I've never liked Pixmania

Ever since they asked me to fax them a copy of my ID card before they would send a credit card order. I'm glad I refused.

5. DJ 2
    Devil

And exactly how.

Can you tell this from their usual high spam content. Pixmania send about 3 emails a day, and it's impossible to unregister.

I bought ink from them years ago and to this day my spam box is full of "Good Deals"

1. Vometia

Re: Pixmania spam

Same thing here - I yanked my Pixmania address years ago thanks to the otherwise unstoppable torrent of spam they sent me. In spite of how much time has passed, I see from my mail logs that it was still amongst those that the spammers targeted yesterday.

I've had a number of vendor-specific emails that have been spammed over the years. I've pretty much given up contacting the company responsible since it nearly always meets with denial or defensiveness; one of them got really pretty stroppy with me in spite of it being my details that were compromised, but they went out of business shortly afterwards. With customer service like that, it was of course entirely unexpected.

6. Jon H
    Unhappy

Ah that explains the email yesterday then!

Yup, I had an odd email yesterday afternoon sent to a specific work email account. Had my name in the subject and it was offering "Customer Service Assistant vacancy at ASTRO Consulting". A quick Google after reading The Reg's article and it seems to be the same email everyone is getting.

I used that email address to order from Pixmania back in August last year.

1. Steve McIntyre
      FAIL

Me too

I had exactly the same spam, again to a specific address given only to Pixmania. I've been pestering their "customer care" people about it, but no useful answers yet.

2. JCL

Here too

same here, Astro, twice.

3. DocRoot

Received same email - contains my full name - what other info do they have?!

Yes, I received the same email. To an email address I have only ever used with pixmania, from whom I last bought something 6 years ago!! I don't normally get emails from pixmania, having opted out of all their mailings when I first signed up. Like you, the email has my full name(!!) - what other info do they have?!

At the bottom of the email it states, "ASTRO Consulting has obtained your contact details from public internet sources." - errrm, I don't think so!

1. DocRoot
        Megaphone

Got reply from Pixmania via Twitter

I've just received a reply to a Tweet I sent them yesterday:

"I can assure you that NO data base details have been sold to NO one. We're working on sorting out this matter as fast as we can."

4. thesykes

me too

wondered that came from

7. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

Pixmania are as dodgy as fsck anyway

Just try returning DOA kit to them...

1. Chris Miller

+1

that is all

2. Al 18

I'll second that

Just try to get anything other than an automated response when goods fail to be dispatched.

8. Adrian Jones

Add ElReg to that list too.

I get spam to an address that only they have.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That ...

... is the weekly digest.

9. cdilla

amazon involved

I have started receiving the same kind of span/phishing emails on an email I only use with amazon.

I did buy something using my amazon account that was supplied by Pixmania.

Time for Pixmania to come clean and for amazon to close down their liason with them.

10. lIsRT
    Thumb Down

me too

Bought (and RMAd) a monitor from them at least 5 or 6 years ago, and got an odd (as in, addressed to my real name) work-from-home spam yesterday.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Customer Service Assistant position at ASTRO Consulting"

is how the pixmania derived scam came to me today, including my 13 yr old daughters name twice,

both emails I got from different made-up names came from a known spam mailer from BLU155-W26/65.55.116.9 and 65.55.90.7 which is somewhere in US-Hotmail-land.

I can trace my contact with pixmania very definitely to a transaction with fotovista bopix via pixmania as an amazon marketplace seller in July 2007. I may email amazon_uk@pixmania.com and ask what they are up to!?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yep here too

I got the same email today and it came via an account used for Pixmania about four years ago.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Add "ticketline.co.uk" to that list

As well as getting the pixmania one, I also got one from an address only given to ticketline.co.uk today also. Scum.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Yep

An email address completely dedicated to my pixmania account started receiving a load of spam. I'll be closing that account - just hope they haven't lost card details and other PII...

14. Ben Boyle
    Thumb Down

Amazon here too

I've had mail to the account I only use for Amazon... but have bought from Pixmania through Amazon. Lucky I didn't send the big A that snarky email yesterday, then!

If it continues I guess I just create a new address for Amazon and block the old one.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Spam

I'm getting these emails to addresses exclusive to Pixmania, Play.com and Amazon.

I suspect they were all part of the Epsilon hack.

Michael D

1. Anonymous Coward
      Facepalm

Dodgey work-from-home scams

I got a load of these in the past month or two all sent to a unique email address given to The Book Depository. TBD says that an old computer from their dispatches depts got brought back on line recently and then hacked.

I'm also getting spams (including a "Lloyds Bank" phishing scam on 1st June) sent to an address given exclusively to Spa Cycles (mail order cycle components) from an order I placed several years back.

Stuff leaks. /Shrugs/

16. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Pixmania crooks

Just goggle "Pixmania crooks"

i now get 40+ spam emails a day just to my special Pixmania only email address

The don't let you cancel your order, and you have to let it ship, then refuse it at your door

then they never stop resending it to you :(

i've spent £££££'s on the phone to try and stop them

Pixmania = DSG

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I have a catch-all box

Having several domains to my name, I use catch-all boxes quite a lot. This means whenever I sign up for an account on any company website, I can put a suffix of their company name after my own, I could name several well known companies who have either sold on, or otherwise permitted (which includes insecurely storing) my email address to be used for spam.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Same thing happened to me...

...with my Pixmania email and full name. I've had this kind of thing happen before with other companies. When I warn them they usually respond saying I should get an anti-virus!

19. Scarborough Dave
    Meh

Yep! Same Here!

Not used Pixmainia since 2004, but got the Astro email today.

Safely in my quarantine.

20. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

It's not just them.

I'm suddenly getting spam to unique IP addresses I provided to an airline, a high street store, an online game and a financial institution. They are address I have given no one else and have never sent an email with.

They are all SPAM to say I have a parcel that couldn't be delivered, but the email has a nasty payload.

21. El Richard Thomas

Just another "me too"

I've been getting spams to pixmania@mydomain which include my real name ever since I opted out from all their genuine mailing lists sometime last year. I emailed customer support at the time giving them the option of admitting they had sold my details or had them stolen. They gave me a canned reply about internet security, and I haven't bought anything from them since.

22. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Pixmania just replied to my complaint letter

they amusingly suggested

"we invite you to contact the sender to unsubscribe from the mailing list"

does that sounds like best cybersecurity practise to suggest that I email a major spam/trojan/crim bunch and ask to be removed from their dist list?

I've written back to Px mentioning ICO & CNIL & similar worrying acronyms - if Pixfalia have any idea who they are.. Pimania seem to have their warehouses in France so should be happy to read about CNIL ...Commission Nationale de l' Informatique et des Libertés

"Article 45 of the French 2004 law (Protection of Data Subjects as Regards the Processing of Personal Data) sets out the sanctions for breaches of the law. These include fines, imprisonment, publishing the information of the case in newspapers or other publications (for which the sanctioned person must pay), ceasing processing operations and removing the controller's authorisation to process"

1. Steve McIntyre
      FAIL

Same here

I've specifically mentioned "failures in data protection" etc. when talking to them, but they're still sticking to the "contact the sender to unsubscribe from the mailing list" line. Numpties.

I'm about to contact the ICO to see what they can/will do.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like