back to article Everything Everywhere goes all over the High Street

Orange and T-Mobile's joint sales tentacle Everything Everywhere is opening 30 new shops in the UK. These are on top of the 720 shops already run by the two networks. The two firms are trialling various different formats, including concessions and joint stores with both Orange and T-Mobe branding. But it claims footfall ( …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. ravenviz Silver badge
    Flame

It's obvious

Air time should be ubiquitous, much like companies that sell gas or electricity. We should be able to use any available signal whatever network we're on. Come on Ofcom!

1. Al_21
      Thumb Down

Competition and innovation

I disagree, it helps competition if there are separate networks.

Also, why should one company which has spent all that money on development of its network simply give it to another who hasn't spent money on it?

1. ravenviz Silver badge

Re: Competition and innovation

All the innovation with cellular networks has already been done and is largely in place. The competition and innovation comes with how providers use the infrastructure that is already there. All I'm talking about is the signal, how you get your data, what tariff you have etc., is still up for competition, and quite rightly so. It seems stupid to me how I am on, say, Vodafone, with no signal and someone stood next to me has access to services just because they're on O2.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@AI_21

Who the hell said they should give access for free?

If a company wants to use another's tower - then they should pay for access.

Anyway - "helps competition"? What? When? Yeah right!

2. Craig Vaughton
    Flame

Novel idea, not

"They promise open, glass storefronts with no posters or signs obscuring the view.

Phones and tablets on display will be functioning devices, not dummy devices, "

My my, I wonder where they got that idea from?

Good luck to 'em. Unless 02 match what T-Mob want for next iPhone when it arrives, I'll be wandering in if we get a store nearby.

1. BorkedAgain
      Coat

Ooh, good point...

I wonder whether the fruity ones have a patent on displaying working models in-store...

3. Danny 14
    Go

jebus

the last thing we want are more highstreet mobile phone shops.

Cant use quidco in the highstreets anyway.

1. Dan Price
      Big Brother

Can't you?

On quidco's site there's an option to link your credit and debit cards to quidco, doesn't that do it?

1. Danny 14
        Happy

not quite

it doesnt work in the same way though, there are only a small handfull of shops that support it. For most contracts you get back about £40 to £50 using quidco as normal. Otherwise you would only get at max 4.5% from a card transaction. Even if you were mad enough to walk into a mobile shop and outright purchase one you would only get up to £25 ish - and I bet you could buy one cheaper online if you wanted to do this. Coupled with the fact someone like buymobilephones.net usually have decent offers of phones on non-native networks with auto cashback (cannot abide with the send 6th, 9th,17th bill for money etc offers) usually wins my business.

Plus there is pretty much zero chance of sending your phone back from a shop, online you have distance selling which is a godsend if you buy a mifi and your 3 signal happens to be really shite in your house - send it back and get a TMobile equivalent etc etc

I suppose the plus side is you can go in and try to use one - after shirking off the salemen.

4. Tom Wood

*sigh*

I suppose the kids prefer the instant gratification of walking into a shop and walking out with something you can show off to your mates for about seven minutes over the mental satisfaction you get from researching online and knowing you got a good deal.

Otherwise there wouldn't be high-street phone shops.

Think I must be getting old.

5. Tegne
    Meh

I'd prefer that they put up a phone mast on the large business park where I work.

So I can at least get a half decent signal on T-Mobile OR Orange. Also when are they going to get there arses into gear so that I can connect at 3G speeds when connected to to the Orange side of the partnership.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

RE: I'd prefer that they put up a phone mast on the large business park where I work

Its actively being worked on don't worry!

1. Tegne
        Unhappy

I'm not sure which part of my original comment you're referring to.

If it's the phone mast part... Then that'll be their standard reply to any query. If you're referring to the 3G part then it may take longer than expected as Arqiva have won a court injunction against EE merging the data networks.

6. Kubla Cant
    FAIL

Sod-all Everywhere

I'm on Orange, aka Everything Everywhere. I'm sitting here in the City of London, with my phone showing four signal bars. Despite this, about 90% of my calls go to voice mail, and internet connectivity varies between painfully slow and non-existent. It's not just a city phenomenon, I have this experience wherever I go.

Instead of opening new shops, why don't they get their useless network sorted out.

@ravenviz: Sounds like a great idea! After all, separating infrastructure from operators has worked brilliantly in the cases of BT and Network Rail.

1. Ed 29

Orange and T mobile 40% to voicemail

Totally agree on voicemail issue, we have entire sales team and exec on Orange/EE and we have tested and proven time and time again that phones with good reception in several locations are simply diverting 40-50% of calls straight to voicemail!!!

Orange initially gave some tosh about the cells being upgraded to work on both so at times you would be connected but cell overloaded due to upgrade on one nearby so you had no signal....comical that this was deemed acceptable but once the completion date of all this ended....still no change and our account conversations have gone quiet.

This is absolutely unacceptable and would be interested to hear others experiences? We are large media group and yet noone seems to care!

Vote with your feet I say...we are!

1. Danny 14

indeed

orange used to be quite good up here but in the past year it has declined. When it autoroams onto TMobile I have very little problems but on orange it gets quite bad.

Dont get me started on the quality of their 3g(+), when it works it rocks, easily 1mb+ connection but often it connects but sits there, disconnects when stationary etc.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Orange is slow

When I was using Orange last year for mobile broadband it was terrible, cruddy speeds and very wild, varying signal, even though the mast is visable from my window on top of flats. T-Mobile had my respect but that sh*t-bag, Orange has completely corrupted it.

I dislike o2 because their network is stuck in the 90s.

My only two options are Three and Vodafone, thankfully they both have excellent 3G coverage where I live.

As for highstreet stores, Everything Everywhere are opening stores while o2 are closing them, o2 closed their Dorchester store in April

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like