back to article Moto says hello goodbye to Zander

Motorola boss Ed Zander has been ousted as CEO by the firm's board of directors. Greg Brown, the firm's current president and chief operating officer, will step into Zander's shoes on 1 January. Zander will retain his role as chairman until Motorola's annual stockholders' meeting in May 2008. Motorola director Samuel C. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Brian Miller

Time for a revolving door at Motorola

"What has he [Zander] brought to Motorola that is really unique in the last three and a half years?" Methinks the board needs to disconnect head from butt. Did they know that a cell phone is still a *phone*? A telephone's main objective is to send and receive voice calls. That's it. While it may have lots of alternate functionality, that functionality can easily get in the way of the phone's main purpose.

A telephone is not a person's main camera. A phone is not a person's main computer. A phone is not a person's main television. So stop already with pretending that the phone is going to replace all of that. They can hire and fire all the CEOs they want, but its not going to change the basic nature of the phone.

Just because you could fit a Linux server into a phone doesn't mean that its actually an idea that would sell the phones.

2. Lance

Goodbye Moto

Kelly,

While that is true, you still have new form factors and better ways of accomplishing something. In the 90’s, Motorola was late to the Digital era and lost a lot of market share. Their phone designs are all over the map. They used UIQ but decided to sell their stake in Symbian and used Linux. That didn’t work well so off to Windows they went. Hmm, still not satisfied they decided to give UIQ a go again. Companies that buy phones don’t like changes. OS version changes, fine. Totally different OS, they don’t like. Motorola has no consistency.

I have not touched a Motorola phone in over a decade. Their phones were great in the analog days, the first digital phones were junk and I quit using them. For the most part I have been a happy camper with Nokia.

3. Danny Thompson
    Dead Vulture

Moto = Dead Duck

The last good Moto handset I ever experienced was their E1000, but thats it. Their lack of imagination has since been seen in the perpetuation of the RAZR paradigm. FFS give it up already, you've done it to death.

Now, in typical corporate death throes they are making staffing efficiencies. What do they think make companies work? If they must then they are misguidedly jettisoning the wrong people, start at the top not the bottom. The phones are not going to design, build and market themselves.

4. pctechxp

Goodbye moto

I shelled out £225 for a SIM-free V600 about 3 years ago.

Second worst phone I had ever used, seemed to have buggy baseband software as sometimes it couldn't decide which band to use.

I got rid after 6 months via ebay but unfortunately only got 70 quid back.

I'm sticking with SonyEricsson.

5. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Coat

Survival of the flashest?

I disagree that the Motorola phones have been rubbish recently. I have bought my wife two Moto handsets in the past three years, a PEBL and then a RAZR. My wife is the quintessential lightning rod for fashion (I had to explain to her why the iPhone is just for fashion victims), and she is also not the most patient of users. A handset for her has to be fashionable, easy to use and reliable, and have all the going features (whether she uses them or not!). She also (thankfully) resists the idea that something fashionable has to cost an arm and a leg. She has no complaints about either of her Motos, and when I have used them at times I have found them both to be excellent handsets (and being a geek, I do try all the features). I even used the PEBL as a bluetooth modem first time with no setup issues when BT managed to accidentally kill our ADSL for a day, a task I would hesitate to try on most Sony-Erricson or Nokia phones.

Motorola's problem is that it needs stability whilst generating that cutting-edge market presence - the first is rarely compatible with the second as the second usually requires taking risks. Zander took the wrong risks - they weren't terminal, but they weren't the best options.

I'll take a flak jacket, please, I can hear my beloved looking for her rolling pin....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like