back to article Tech 'tecs quiz Yorkshireman in Facebook hack probe

Police have arrested and questioned a Yorkshire man over allegations that he hacked into social networking website Facebook. The unnamed 26-year-old from Yorkshire was arrested by police from the National Hi-Tech Crime Unit on Thursday. He was subsequently released on police bail pending further inquiries. Details of the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ru
    Meh

"hacked into facebook"?

Bit shy on details here. Is this actual compromise of FB servers, or something boring and mundane like the theft of yet more zynga currency or the usual fraping?

2. Josco
    Unhappy

I could take exception

Usually enjoy all the Reg stereotyping and banter, but insulting Yorkshiremen? It's a step too far!

I'm very unhappy.

North Yorkshire and proud of it.

1. mark 63 Silver badge
      Coat

stereotypicly.....

ooh eck!

Ear all, see all, say nowt;

Eyt all, sup all, pay nowt;

And if ivver tha does owt fer nowt -

Do it fer thissen.[5]

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Nitpicking

I think the " [5] " is Wikipedia copyright.

2. Grease Monkey Silver badge

North Yorkshire

If you're going to try to take the piss at least put some effort into it. It's no use taking the piss out of somebody from North Yorkshire using a wezzy dialect is it? Geographically that would be like using Suffolk dialect to take the piss out of somebody from London.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

it could have been worse....

you could have been Mexican and on the wrong end of some "top Gear" type stereotyping !!

Ahl gerr uz coa'.

3. TeeCee Gold badge
      Thumb Up

Re: I could take exception

And so you should!

Ecky Thump is a Lancastrian Martial art. A vile calumny on the people of Yorkshire that and wars have been fought over less[1].

[1] Something to do with roses IIRC.....

4. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Cue some mockney...

Ecky Thump (and By Eck) are Lancashire expressions, not Yorkshire. Gotta go, the whippet needs a run and the bath needs emptying of coal.

3. Mike Hunt 1
    Black Helicopters

National Hi-Tech Crime Unit?

Doesn't exist any more!!

Did this man check the credentials of these people?

Just wondering !

4. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

grrr dont go there with facebook!!

Some a$$hole somehow hacked my business facebook page (its a very good way to keep in touch with our customers.)

Facebook claim it can only be done by the hacker getting access to my account password, (very unlikely) and is impossible by any other means. The hacker deleted me as admin then changed the profile picture and removed themselves as admin..

facebook say they cant (read as wont) re-instate me as admin to my own page and to contact the current admin (there is not one) and ask them to re-instate me....

a quick google of this will show up many others having the same issue and facebook continually not giving a damn !!!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

I stopped reading at this point ...

Facebook claim it can only be done by the hacker getting access to my account password, (very unlikely)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

And I, here

"Some a$$hole somehow hacked my business facebook page..."

5. adnim

Script kiddie or hacker?

If this guy is a hacker and not a script kiddie, what surprises me is that he was smart enough to hack yet dumb enough to be traced. Perhaps he was a script kiddie after all. I can only presume he ran his downloaded tools from his own ISP account. Either that or he bragged about it to the wrong people or in the wrong place.

Maybe he is innocent and the real hacker used his unprotected wireless access point.

6. nsld
    Coat

He tried to

update his status using a pigeon and it shat on one of the servers!

7. James Condron

Scotland Yard?

Why do the colonials insist on likening the building 'Scotland Yard' (New or otherwise) to their FBI? Gets on me tits that, lad

8. Mike 16

He had scripts?

In my day we wrote our own hacks, in octal, and we had to fit them in 2K words, and send them to the victim by ground-starting a coin-phone and whistling through a hand-carved Ocarina.

Kids these days...

1. Sam Therapy
      Coat

Luxury

We used to dream of having an Ocarina.

9. Davethejackal
    Coffee/keyboard

I was doing fine upto

' hand-carved ocarinas'

People are looking and I need a dry keyboard. Have a click!

10. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

UK "Hi Tech" Police

From experience of a few of my "friends" who have been arrested by various UK hi tech crime departments (Whatever they call themselves these days) I can't see them having anything to charge him with.

With one person they left him in possession of an external HDD which contained various tools and databases that they could have charged him for. They also didn't complete any forensics on some of the kit they recovered.

Let's just say the only charges they got where very minimal

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like