back to article Sony Bravia KDL-40EX724 40in LED 3D TV

I wouldn’t give Sony’s troubles to a monkey on a rock. Horrible financial results, the PSN hacked to its knees, and now the distinction of producing the worst 3D TV I think I’ve ever seen. Yep, the KDL-40EX724 reviewed here is a three dimensional suckfest. But let’s not get ahead of ourselves. Sony KDL-40EX724 Sony's KDL- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. googoo
    Pint

Just plug in an eternal USB hard drive

I could do with one of those, mine's on the blink

2. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

That's one fat cat

> 11.2kg? I hope you're joking, or your cat needs a serious diet...

3. OrsonX
    Happy

suckfest

one to avoid then!

4. Robert E A Harvey
    FAIL

yawn

don't want 3D, don't care

5. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

<null>

Nice, but two things put me off, 1) it's by Sony and 2) it has a network connection; can't think of a more dangerous combination.

1. Ian Stephenson
      Facepalm

I can.

Add a credit card number to the mix.

1. Thomas 4

Because its a Sony

It will suck out your childhood memories and dump them on a server somewhere. Next thing you know that dreadful nativity evening where you played a sheep is being auctioned off on eBay.

1. James Hughes 1

I was a pig actually.

And IIRC (35 years ago +) it was pretty good play. I particularly liked to bit where we stole peeks in to the girls changing room from under the stage.

6. Jim 16
    Stop

Title

Major selling feature of the product flat-out doesn't work, and you still give it 70%?

7. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

70%

70% for a TV to avoid?

We'd better convert that. Popular 90's computer magazine Amiga Power reckoned that most magazines gave an average game a score of 73% whereas they reckoned an average game should get 50%. This is indeed a much more fair system.

So a more accurate score would be about 48%

The four cyclists of the apocalypse will be along shortly.......

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

70% = 2 stars out of 5

Just do (reg score - 60) / 5 to get the real score.

8. Dropper

And the cost..

It's at twice as much as the equivalent 40" 2D TV (my own Sony 40" 1080p TV cost $800 three years ago) with apparently not much to show for it..

9. Anonymous Coward
    Meh

Maybe...

...this was a dodgy machine? I find it hard to believe anyone would deliberately add bad 3D to a tv, especially if they do actually have good 3D tv's in the range...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Maybe..

I might agree if it were a reputable company. But this is Sony we're talking about here and if they can charge hundreds of pounds more by claiming it's 3D capable I doubt whether they care if it works or not.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Just one question...

Do they make Grumble Flicks in 3D?

1. pixie lott's g-string
      Thumb Up

yes..

and you must keep your head still at the money shot....

11. Mage Silver badge

£1200!

A 42" non-Stereoscopic TV is about £300.

Using liquid crystal glasses all the TV needs is about 50p worth of IR LED and frame sync pulses to tell the glasses which eye to open.

12. TeeCee Gold badge
    Thumb Down

One more thing.

Have they sorted out the Achilles heel of the LED edgelit EX LCD panels yet?

That'll be colour balance at low picture light levels best described as; "Any shade of blue you like."....

Oh and the god-awful viewing angles which, to date, have been shite even by the piss-poor standards of LCDs in general.

13. Sartori

2D version it is then....

Actually sounds a great TV apart from 3D, which I don't need or want. Time to look up the equivalent 2D model I think. Sony have done a lot of stupid things but say what you like, they do make fantastic TV's usually. So long as it's not 3D that is!

14. Mage Silver badge
    Mushroom

Can we stop

Why calling these LED TVs?

They are LCD TVs with LED backlights. There are real LED HD displays (usually x10 bigger) and real OLED displays (usually 1/10th the size).

Why calling these 3D TVs?

They are stereoscopic TVs. Nothing 3D about them, There are (small and expensive) non-holographic yet true 3D displays.

15. Cunningly Linguistic
    Devil

Sony are evil

Do I need to repeat myself?

16. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

@That's one fat cat

Clearly need to stock up on Cat-size ... remember "see their light"

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like