back to article Syria shuts off interwebs

Syria appears to have begun shutting off internet links to the rest of the world. Approximately two-thirds of all Syrian networks became unreachable by Friday afternoon as part of a process that began early in the morning. Routes to 40 of 59 networks were withdrawn from the global routing tables, leaving the internet in Syria …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

SEA Org?

SEA Org?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Meh

maybe

They're trying to stop the propaganda getting in.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=24591

3. nyelvmark
    Coat

This is very short-sighted

...which is odd, given that the man purportedly giving the orders is an opthalmologist.

4. Trevor 7
    Mushroom

More than likely a prelude

To a much more violent and forceful put down.

If they have been watching they know, they have to use lots of lethal force and put it down quickly to eliminate all the "insurgents" and before the rest of the world will do anything about it.

5. phlashbios
    Black Helicopters

UN intervention?

Well I am sure that the USA and UK will shortly ask the UN for ratification so that they can pop into Syria and sort it all out like they are doing in Libya...

What's that you say? There are trillions of Syrian dollars invested in the US economy and therefore Western democracies will just stay out of it and pretend Syrian authorities are not murdering their own people and hushing it up?

That can't be right. That would be the most disgusting kind of hypocracy if that was to happen, and we all know the US and UK would never be guilty of that..

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

@phlashbios

I've done no checking of this, so I'm happy to be proved wrong, but trillions of Syrian dollars? Where the hell from? The Syrian economy's a basket case, and they don't got no oil... So I strongly suspect bovine excrement on that point.

Secondly, there probably won't be any UN mandate. And no hypocrisy either. The UK and US couldn't even get mild criticism of the Syrian regime through the security council last month, due to the Russian and Chinese vetoes. So we could go the non-UN, and thus 'illegal war' route, or ramp up the pre-existing sanctions a tad and do not much else.

This one ain't the fault of Western Democracy [tm] - hypocritical or otherwise. We haven't been backing Syria for reasons of realpolitik, they've not much we want (only things we'd rather like them not to do) and we have almost no leverage to use on them, save the threat of military force without UN approval.

The world is not a simple place. There are no easy answers. International diplomacy is hard.

3. Luther Blissett

United in Depredation

The UNO (sic) is authorized by its constitution for involvement in trans-national situations only. Its involvement in Libya in support of an internal armed rebellion is ultra vires, and demonstrates beyond any doubt that the UNO has turned itself into nothing more a rent-seeking fig-leaf.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A day in the life of Bashar Al Assad

So, what's in my agenda today? "search the internet for the meaning of democracy and human rights". Wow, that sounds like a lot of work. I'll just search for "how to shoot civilians", and I'll switch the dang thing off.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Devil

Doesnt even need to search for it....

israel are next door they are experts in civilian shooting!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Childcatcher

Strategy failure.

How to start a modern revolution;

1. Switch off the internet.

2. Thousands of angry teenagers/young adults to pour onto the streets calling for your head

3. Fight

8. Paul 172
    Thumb Down

whatnow?

"cyberhackers"

sry what? you sound like the sun, pack it in...

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oil?

Erm, Syria does have oil although their industry is certainly on the decline. They also have a whopping great army, are bestest buddies with Iran and a pretty diverse ethnic mix. Iraq the sequel anyone?

10. g e
    Devil

That slithery sound

Is the sound of the CIA rubbing its hands with glee as they finally start to reap the payoff of 50 years' hard work destabilising the Middle East to bring as much of that oil as possible under USA (not even Western) control...

11. Anonymous Coward
    Mushroom

Which path to Persia?

Syria is on the hit list so don't doubt that military action might be on the cards if the sponsored uprising doesn't work. The Brookings institute document Which Path To Persia mentions Syria. http://bushstole04.com/iran/iran_brookings.htm

This topic is closed for new posts.