back to article HTC exposes customers' privates

HTC might be very slowly improving the quality of its repair service, but for the last week it has also been revealing customer details with a flick of a URL. The URL concerned is emailed out by an HTC subcontractor to customers waiting for the return of their handsets. It links to details of their repair as identified by a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Chris Miller
      Thumb Up

Up to a point

Your sentiments do you credit, Betacam, but if my experience of pen testing web applications is anything to go by, you and your colleagues form only a small minority of web developers. I'd place at least 90% of the blame for this with the clients - whose requirements tend to run to: 1) speedy performance; 2) good design; 3) fast development; and 4) cheap. Security (if it appears at all) generally comes far down the list.

If your clients are really keen on security, presumably they include it in the acceptance testing process using (expensive) tools and skilled testers?

2. John Hadfield
    Thumb Up

HTC came good for me

Like many others, I commented last time about the poor service I was getting from HTC.

I feel I ought to comment again now my issue is resolved. I finally managed to speak to someone in the Customer Care team who actually did seem to 'care' and despite him having little more information than the others, at least he took ownership of the problem and called me when he said he would (if not before). As soon as he did that, I was less concerned about the delay and the time taken - a lesson for the others I spoke to! A week later, my issue was resolved.

As a nice touch, my wife received an upgraded replacement phone which goes some way to make up for the farcical initial communication.

They need to improve communication greatly, but hopefully they'll get it right in the end.

3. Rob
    Meh

These young'uns

I think the thing to remember is that HTC is relatively young when compared to the rest of it's competitiors, granted it's been making braned smartphones for mobile networks for a number of years but it's only recently moved up a gear to become a brand and sell phones on that brand.

Don't consider this an excuse on their behalf, I'm still hoping they get the sense.com site sorted sooner rather than later, I just getthe feelign this is all still a bit new to them.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Facepalm

Re: These young'uns

Their customer service in the UK is outsourced to a company called WDS, who a very well established. And useless.

I know this because six months ago I sent a phone in for repair...

1. Gannon (J.) Dick
        Pint

Repair ?

There is a little white dot inside the battery case which is a moisture sensor (it turns red).

They want to see that dot to verify your story about the "phone just stopped working", before they give you a new one. When confronted with the Warranty, insist that you paid extra for the Irish Poet Feature which allows you to wake up drunk in mud puddles. Chances are the rep will not be able to understand anything else in the Warranty either.

4. Sgt_Oddball
    Unhappy

Joy.......*sigh*

Just got my phone back last week after complaining about where the hell the thing was (after being 5 days later than I was promised) and have been promised the aforementioned free accessory (helpful since i was considering a spare battery anyways) but while being in contact with them through the email system (I like keep copies of what was said) only to have 3 separate people reply back with almost the same info (though 3 separate dates for when the phone would come back) and randomly mention of sending my headphones back which I had never mentioned nor sent back with the phone, which well was very worrisome and now the system could be hacked by guessing other ticket details...

To put it mildly this has drastically effected my oppions of HTC whom I was pretty happy with upto this point

5. Arctic fox
    Unhappy

By their support services shall ye know them.

I have to admit that I feel that I have been lucky having, so far, owned two HTC phones without them giving me any issues such that I have not had the experience that several here refer to and I have seen commented upon on other threads. My experience FWIW is that poor support/repair services seem to be the rule rather than the exception within consumer electronics, the general attitude being "sell and forget".

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like