back to article BPI works out how to put PG stickers on downloads

The BPI has invoked the spirit of Tipper Gore in its effort to warn parents and kids when downloads might be offensive to young ears and eyes. The BPI said its Parental Advisory Scheme "will stipulate that UK digital music retailers and streaming services should clearly display the internationally recognised Parental Advisory …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Lamont Cranston
    FAIL

Parents:

no need to pay attention to what your little ones are listening to, someone else is doing it for you.

What do they expect this to acheive?

1. Captain Underpants
      Devil

@Lamont

Presumably they expect this to get them in with the Mumsnet Brigade...can a "Mumsnet-approved" sticker campaign be far behind?

2. Ken Hagan Gold badge
    Childcatcher

Re: the fetish for slapping...

"... the sticker on anything remotely naughty began in the states in the mid-80s, when Tipper Gore and the Parental Music Resource Centre realised what some of those rappers and heavy metallers were actually going on about."

The 60s songs about acid trips and the 70s punk songs about how the older generation had screwed up the whole world for all children everywhere, having passed by unnoticed because at that time Tipper and her friends *were* the children at risk. Meanwhile, prancing about pretending to be a semi-naked X-Factor contestant has entered the school curriculum as part of PE.

3. Roggster
    Happy

Back to front

surely these days it is far quicker, easier and cheaper to put 'no explicit content' onto tracks which are safe for little ears.

It seems to me that of all the crap music released these days only a minority has no swearing or explicit lyrics...

But hey, I'm a grumpy old man now with two little girls :)

4. The Fuzzy Wotnot
    Happy

Welcome back Tipper!

As a dopey metalhead of 15 years old, around the time Mrs Gore decided these little stickers would protect me from these nasty musical influences trying to encourage me to think for myself, my mates and I would often scour the record shelves looking for the latest releases and generally buying the ones WITH the sticker on! I believe a lot of bands would deliberately put some mindless crap on an album just to get a sticker slapped on their latest, as they knew the sticker would bump up the albums sales, especially to minors!

"Streamed Explicit Content" logo on t-shirt, sold on eBay, in 3...2...1...

5. Tegne
    Childcatcher

They should start displaying 'Listener Advisory Generic Autotuned Crap' labels too.

That is all.

6. Cowardly Animosity
    Coffee/keyboard

Nice one...

"After all, buying stuff legally rather than hitting the torrents has got to be worth it if it's guaranteed to piss off your parents."

In my defence, why should any of my hard-earned wonga go to La Bieber, whose creepy pre-pubescent lyrics deserve an advisory sticker?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like