back to article Napster

I’ve been a keen user of Spotify’s free, ad-supported music streaming service ever since it first launched. However, Spotify is now starting to restrict its free service, and with big names like Apple, Google and Amazon lining up their own cloud-based services it looks as though subscriptions are the way forward – whether we …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. David Wood

How many mobile devices?

Spotify premium can be used on 3 mobile devices (although not at the same time if you're in online mode). How many mobile devices does Napster allow?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Meh

+£5/m for phone app

Sounds like a raw deal to me. This looks like a laziness tax, there are so many free alternatives both legal and otherwise from internet radio and youtube to torrents. And even the streaming media can be downloaded with a little work should you want to listen to it later.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

Missing the point

I suppose if someone bought an album on CD or via a legal online music service, you would say that they could have downloading a pirated copy for nowt.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Unhappy

Not really

When you buy an album some money goes to the artist and it's yours permanently. But charging double the price to access the same service on a mobile device is crazy.

Furthermore Napster, Spotify and other subscription services are bad for artists who seldom see any money and in some cases have to pay to have their music hosted. It's just record labels ripping everyone off all over again.

Just a reminder, Lady Gaga earned $167 for her million+ plays on spotify. Doubt Napster will prove any different.

I'm happy listening to my internet radio stations and downloading music videos from youtube. I buy the occasional CD too.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

I remember using Napster...

Until it became not available to those outside the US.

Raw deal? Very yes.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

paltry: 1. ridiculously or insultingly small. 2. utterly worthless. 3. mean or contemptible

I don't see how 13m can be considered "paltry" wrt 15m.

1. Stuart Archer

Uh

I think he was being sarcastic..

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

well

What kind of results do you get for "exit trance" "morning musume" "akb48" "Miss A" "Red Alice" "Kara" "Urbangarde" "Momoi" etc?

6. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Impossible to find out anything about the service without an account.

Napster will never be getting my business until I can see what their "18 Million tracks" includes.

It is frankly ridiculous that the only way you can browse their catalogue is to sign up with a credit card. I don't expect to be able to play tracks for free; I'm quite comfortable with the subscription model, but the only way to entice me to stump up is to show me what music you have.

Spotify only has 15 million tracks because they've imported hundreds of cheap live albums, remixes and, worst of all, karaoke CDs. Sorry, Spotify, you are just insulting me. How can I tell Napster isn't just the same? At least Spotify allows you to browse, and even listen to, their catalogue before signing up.

Also, Napster claims to offer an MP3 store (http://www.napster.co.uk/product_info.html) but can anyone work out how to access it without signing up for a paid subscription?

Rich

7. tmTM

At least

The radio is still free.

8. Mick Stranahan
    Black Helicopters

what complete, utter and absolute

"It's just record labels ripping everyone off all over again."

bollocks.

Ever worked for a record label? Even seen the P&Ls? No, thought not. Tit

9. D@v3

I like the sound of this

(and spotify for that matter), but £120 a year is just too much. I like music, but if i dont have enough time to listen to the library i already own, then i certainly dont have enough time to make it worth paying £120 a year to listen to music i dont know that i like (assuming that if i know i like something enough to want to listen to it, I buy the CD)

1. Marvin the Martian

Just look at the "Blondie" illustration.

Zombie dinosaurs of the past, that's who we're supposed to spend our money on.

I think live performances in sub-500 person theatres is the only music we should spend money on.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Pint

No

You think live performances in sub-500 person theatres is the only music YOU should spend money on.

You're not authorised to speak for the rest of us. So please don't.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like