back to article Submarine seized by pirates turns up in Vegas pawnshop

A stolen submarine has been returned to its wealthy Californian owner after it was pawned in Las Vegas, according to reports. Investigating plods are baffled and the seagoing freebooters who originally pirated the sub remain at large. The submarine, an unidentified personal model suitable for wealthy supervillains wishing to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Joke

Noooooooooooooooooooo...

"It seems likelier that in fact the crime took place in Californian territorial waters, but acknowledging this would be boring and so we haven't."

The Reg letting facts muddle up a good pirate story!!!!! Tell me it is not true! hahaha

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

Well.

It as it vanished without a trace, i suppose the Ninja's could have been responsible.

They probably used it for a few years to smuggle their Grade A super secret Ninja-jammies, and to torpedo pirate ships carrying concentrated Grog and the latest eyepatch technology - in preperation for the invasion. Or something.

1. sisk
        Joke

Ninja pirates?

Heaven help us all if they turn out to be robotic to.

2. Naughtyhorse

I know whodunnit

it was Rajesh Koothrappali.

obvious

3. Richard 120
    Pirate

Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

"acknowledging this would be boring and so we haven't."

So you hold to the adage then, but are somewhat honest about it.

4. Lamont Cranston
    Pirate

Arrr,

there be no law, 'pon the sea.

1. Captain Thyratron

Alas, boring as it may be,

This probably did not happen in international waters.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

"Retired truck driver Bruce Rogers"... yeah, right!

I bet in his spare time he fights crime. I never heard such an obvious secret identity!

6. Turtle

What's next?

Having stolen a submarine, what did they do next? Move on to hoagies, reubens, and heroes? Maybe they armed themselves and robbed a Blimpie, Subway, or Quiznos? Possibly this was only the tip of the iceberg, and turned out to be the start of a crime wave.

So many unanswered questions!

7. William Towle

Not the first time...

...what next, a bridge?

1. Crazy Operations Guy

Happens quite regularily

mostly in the Former Soviet Union. There are a lot of roads that are rarely traveled, so thieves will disassemble the bridge for the scrap metal.

2. Getter lvl70 Druid
      Pint

Why not?

Like the London Bridge is in Lake Havasu City, Arizona - I'm not surprised anymore, I just say 'Cool', appreciate the uniqueness, and move on. I've watched 4th of July fireworks over the water on that bridge - there's a pool hall within walking/staggering distance that has free pool on Sunday and 25cent cherrybomds (cherries soaked in Everclear 200proof a few months).... 2-3 bucks can, under certain circumstances, lay you out on a quiet Sunday lol.

8. Robert E A Harvey

"before changing the subject and embarking on an anecdote about a steam engine."

what is this? an episode of Last of the Summer Wine?

9. NickyD

Piracy

If they'd have made a copy rather than stolen the original it would be piracy, surely? </sarcasm>

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

@NickyD

you forgot your coat, now get out of here!!!

2. LaeMing
      Pirate

You wouldn't download a submarine.

Hell I wouldn't if I could!

10. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Pirates--in Vegas?!?!

The sub was probably narc'd out by Steve Wynn and Donald Trump, who didn't like the competition!!

11. skeptical i
    Coat

"the thieves ... would only be pirates if the robbery happened on the high seas"

"It seems likelier that in fact the crime took place in Californian territorial waters ...." -- you do know that marijuana is legal* in California, right? High seas indeed.

* For medical use only, including for such debilitating conditions as anxiety and writers cramp.

12. TheBigCat

Parked on a trailer in a lot, not in the water

Without other information I assume that it had been parked on a trailer and not in the water when stolen. The owner, as the owner of many boats, might have had it parked in a lot for boats. I'd assume the owner would use it a little then forget about it.

Bill

1. Keith Williams
      Pirate

Pending other information

The article stated that it was stolen from his yacht.

13. KrisMac
    Alien

"Bruce" Rogers???

... I say that the time loop has finally closed and we have all come into the Twenty First Century to catch up on good ol' Buck... now posing as semi retired truck driver.

...I bet he was really trying to recover his space-plane-fighter-jet-submarine that someone had rumbled hiding in a dicrete back-yard location...

14. TeeCee Gold badge
    Coat

Of course a pawn shop would buy it.

They should have customers queueing up.

A Pawn shop is an obvious place to go if you are in need of a sub.

15. Steve Babb
    Holmes

Who stole it...?

Hmmm....are there any clues on who stole it in the first place......."This isn't the first time I've moved something like this," he told the Victorville Daily Press, before changing the subject..."

"...his sister works for the submarine's owner..."

16. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

It is not stealing...

"- We are going to steal that ship.

- No, we are going to commandeer that ship."

You know the rest.

So, was it stolen or comandeered...?

This topic is closed for new posts.