back to article Intel to extend data centre tyranny into mobile, says CFO

Intel's CFO has rubbished ARM's prospects of making a serious dent in the data centre, arguing that whatever the chip IP developer is aiming at, Intel will be well ahead. At the same time, Stacy Smith insists that Intel will soon be eating into ARM's position in the mobile arena, despite the recent flight of its anchor partner …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Peter Gathercole Silver badge
    Happy

Meanwhile, back in the real world...

ARMs are currently being deployed more and more widely as people realise that they really don't have a current need for 64 bit processors for much of what they do. 32 bit+address extension will do very nicely.

Just wait for ChromeOS and a decent server distro of Linux for ARM, and Intel will see all sorts of customers defect. They just don't see that it's largely about power consumption, and their track record in reducing power is not good.

2. Mike Brown

"be people youve heard of"

apple

iphone 5.

1. Kiralexi
      Paris Hilton

Not gonna be Apple

There's no way Apple is going to break binary compatibility with their existing application base, and the Atom really doesn't have close to enough oomph to provide flawless emulation of software designed for a Cortex A8 or A9.

3. asdf
    FAIL

why even Intel cant compete

ARM is IP only. This means Intel has to compete solo against virtually every other chipmaker in the world (TI, Motorola, Samsung, etc). Plus after working at a 3rd party company developing a solution with Intel requiring a small form factor and the joke of the OS that is Meego that failed because of all things Intel couldn't get their own hardware to work (their software is a joke but its real bad their bread and butter hardware failed) I would say ARM has little to worry about on the low end. Inside the data center however is another ball game.

4. nyelvmark
    Black Helicopters

The scary thing is

...15 billion ARM processors have shipped to date, according to Arm. That's more than 2 for every individual on the planet, including infants in mud huts and Mongolian herdsmen.

Where are they all? This is Rise of the Machines stuff.

1. L.B

re: where are they...

The answer is nearly everywhere.

I don't have what passes for a smart phone, but there are 2 Arm cpu's in my Nintendo DSi, another in my Sky box (I think), another in my QNAP NAS server, and possibly more in my car, DVDRecorded+Freeview box, etc...

I used to work for company that made hand held medical equipment so back then I often had ~4 devices with Sharp's ARM cores on my desk.

These things have been the number one cpu for embedded/portable hardware for many years (mid or early 1990's?), and they come in many variants from the fast kit in iPads/Phones to devices that have a coupe KB of eprom and a few more KB or RAM and only need a few milliwatts to run.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

since when

did a CIO know anything about modern CPUs?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"a decent server distro of Linux for ARM"

What about Debian?

Also, what happened to the icons?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Change of architecture

Let's indeed look at change of architecture.

Change of architecture x86-32 to Itanium: Intel said: this makes perfect sense, please go out and buy our IA64 "industry standard 64 bit computers". Customers and vendors said: few visible IA64 benefits, especially so once AMD64 arrives and becomes the true "industry standard 64bit computer". Customers and vendors ignore IA64 in droves. IA64 nowadays just about hangs on by a thread (was it mentioned at the Investors Conference? Anybody at El Reg actually there or was the coverage all from press releases?)

Change of architecture x86-32 to ARM and licencees: Intel says this makes no sense, please buy Atom, it'll be great one day. Customers and vednors said: ARM already has loads of visible benefits in this market even before the 32+ bit ones arrive. The non-Windows-dependent low and mid range market flocks almost 100% to ARM, and completely ignores x86 unless Windows/x86 capability is mandated.

Intel. What are they good at besides x86 these days? Perhaps more importantly, what will they be good at in five or ten years time when x86 is largely a legacy technology.

"Also, what happened to the icons?"

They got upgrade. Like Vista was an upgrade. Maybe it's a precursor to columnists using something other than words (y'know, like piecharts and tables where appropriate) in which case I approve.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

%PARSE, extra words after valid sentence

Corrected sentence is "since when did a CIO know anything"

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like