back to article BlueStacks lets Android apps frolic on PCs

A startup called BlueStacks has come out of stealth mode with shiny new venture funding and an eponymous product that lets Android apps run on PCs. BlueStacks runs the open source Android runtime environment on top of an x64 hypervisor so Android apps – excepting those compiled down to ARM hardware using C and C++ – can be …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tim Parker
    Happy

Windroid

Long have I quested for that perfect marriage of Android application quality with Windows stability and security. At last my search is over.

1. Marvin the Martian

What does this even mean?

What is "android app quality"? Their stability apparently not. Their visual design or underlying function? That doesn't make sense as there's nothing inherently android-only/windows-impossible except what's tied to being a phone-app (which is useless on a computer).

There must be something to it, otherwise you wouldn't get that many thumbs up, so what's the idea? Do you mean an emulator to run it on a WinPho (that's not in the article)?

1. Tim Parker

@Marvin the Martian

"What does this even mean?"

It's sort of an attempt at humour - possibly not that successful judging by the reply - playing on a couple of stereotypes which - either now, in the past, or some interesting combination thereof - have arguably been deserved.

I have been told it can be terrifically effective sometimes although, frankly, I seem to be having some problems with it.

If I had to explain those stereotypes...

In the case of Android applications, some folk have noticed that the entry requirements to the Android Market, though punishing, have at least lead to a consistent level of quality over much of it's content. For some strange reason it reminds me of the excitement I used to feel when looking on Tucows in the 90's and discovering - joy of joys ! - that someone had written and uploaded another great version of Solitaire for Windows - what fun !

As for Windows, well surely I need not explain that one....

PS. Sorry about us continually lobbing bits of metal probes and things at your planet.

PPS. Sorry about not tidying them up when they break down.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Facepalm

@ Marv

whoooosh....

2. Richard Joseph
    Thumb Up

On first thoughts, it sounds very much like they've built another Android platform emulator...

..like the one that's included with the Android SDK, although it should be possible to make it run faster, surely?

However, given further thought, and given the (perceived?) cannibalization of the PC market by devices such as the iPad, this start-up might be making a good move by attempting to get this software onto OEM PC's etc.

This platform could end up turning the Android market into something akin to a PC-version of Apple's iTunes/Mac App Stores. This may help flagging PC's sales, in the long run, and *should* be backed by Google and Android developers, who should be able to further their application sales (will Microsoft go for this, directly, given their WP7 aspirations?).

Positioning a wealth of Apps beneath the PC user's nose can only be a good thing for all concerned, IMHO.

3. TonyHoyle

The could have saved themselves a lot of effort

...And downloaded the android SDK, which already has a perfectly servicable emulator that runs android apps. Bit of tweaking to the UI of that to integrate it better with the desktop and you're done.

So.. Windows only, US only (tied to the amazon marketplace, which hates us foreigners). And they'll probably want money for it too..

1. Big_Ted
      Happy

Thats fine for techheads

But the normal home user has no idea that Android SDK even exists and no interest in installing it to run apps when a simple emulator that would be preinstalled would do the job for them.

All they and the vast majority of people in the world want is to click an icon on the desktop and run a program / app.

This could be a great step forward for many with simple apps doing what they want without having to buy bloatware / business software to do simple tasks at home.

2. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

I assume that the Android SDK licence

presumably doesn't allow you to use it other than for developing and testing software. Not just to run and use it.

3. Matt Siddall

Android emulator

Is monstrously slow, even on a relatively new 8 core machine, my phone is massively faster.

If they can make a faster version, count me in.

4. Eddy Ito

But why?

"one thing that BlueStacks won't be doing any time soon is enabling iPhone and iPad applications to run... but legally it is impossible..."

Perhaps I'm too soft upstairs, is there something in the T&Cs of an iPx app and using it on another platform that is most likely incompatible anyway? Sure, they probably all say don't reverse engineer our code but there isn't anything stopping anyone from writing an app for the purpose of having it reverse engineered and building a translation layer from that.

5. Gene Cash Silver badge
    WTF?

Emulator?

So how is this that terribly different than the emulator that comes with the SDK? What am I missing? Other than being probably a little more optimized and running more than one?

6. M Gale

Hm.

Wasn't Shuttleworth going on about doing precisely this for Ubuntu?

7. David Hicks
    Linux

Is this not overkill?

Surely you just need to get Dalvik running on another OS rather than running a whole VM for this?

Or am I just not thinking cloudy enough?

Humbug I say!

8. Gulfie
    Happy

Write once, run anywhere

Excellent, so now I can write a god quality Android application and have it run on the desktop.

Only one question - how quickly will new Android versions appear?

9. petur
    Dead Vulture

Alien Dalvik

This stuff already exists....

http://www.myriadgroup.com/Device-Manufacturers/Android-solutions/Alien-Dalvik.aspx

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Multi-touch

I wonder how they are coping with the differences in GUI - you can't pinch-to-zoom with a mouse pointer.

1. Paul_Murphy

Could do..

Hold a mouse button and use scroll-wheel?

or

Hold mouse button and move mouse to define a viewing area

or

use the +- keys

Just depend on programming a movement that seems natural on a computer and mouse setup.

That's until we all get touch-screens of course.

ttfn

11. Isendel Steel
    Paris Hilton

Playtime

Anyone else immediatly think "Angry Birds"

(Paris - because she could be...)

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmmm...

This seems a bit like a solution in search of a problem.

Can't say I've ever had a burning desire to run an app I have on my Desire/Xoom on my desktop but if I did then the emulator in the SDK is adequate for my needs.

13. Andy 73 Silver badge

SDK Emulator

My experience of the Emulator available with the SDK is that it is awesomely, unbelievably SLOW. It's painfully bad, so if they've fixed that problem to make things run at the speeds they ought to on a PC, they've done something Google seems incapable of.

14. David Dawson
    Joke

So OS/2 can run windows binaries.

Interesting that. ain't it.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like