back to article Microsoft shareholder calls for Ballmer's head

Microsoft, in an extraordinary move earlier this week, described its CEO's comments about Windows 8 as a "misstatement". Despite that, Steve Ballmer's statement remains available on Microsoft's website, and his words are well-and-truly out there and can hardly be put back in a box and forgotten about. Now, according to a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Developers, Developers, Developers....

Would you put this chimp in charge ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8To-6VIJZRE

2. copsewood
    Gates Horns

Failure to compete

By making all of his company products exclusively tied into other company products they will either all succeed together or all fail together, but the latter is looking increasingly likely. Take the recent takeover and hobbling of Skype as an example, with Skype being prevented from providing Asterisk PABX support very soon afterwards. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. So how is Skype to compete now, with one hand tied behind their back ?

A sane CEO of this company would give the different product divisions complete independence from each other, allowing them to make technology choices in the best interests of their product development and customers, and would not require them to support exclusive non standardised interfaces and lockins with other members of the Microsoft product family.

1. Ilgaz

Just wait for giving up Nokia Qt

Skype is also poster child of Nokia (trolltech/digia) qt framework. It basically exists on so many platforms because of that excellent framework.

Now Nokia was forced not to support qt, completely pissing off very very large scale developers, can you imagine MS will let them to keep using c++/qt combination?

It will show a good thing: to which scale MS lost their sanity.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Twelve years ago...

... a judge gave MS a golden opportunity to split into different divisions independent of each other. Then greedy lawyers interfered, and to this day it still hasn't happened.

3. TeeCee Gold badge
    Grenade

"Microsoft shareholder calls for Ballmer's head"

He's welcome to it on one condition, he takes the rest of him as well.

4. James Thomas

Ballmer badly needs to go

MS has had nothing but failures under his watch. If I was a shareholder I would have been kicking up a stink years ago.

1. Red Bren
      Coat

Was it just me?

Or did anyone else read that as "Ballmer baldly needs to go?"

All those calls for a chair throwing monkey icon might not be needed...

1. TeeCee Gold badge
        Coat

Re: Was it just me?

To baldly go where no fucktard has gone before.

2. hplasm
        Happy

Make it so-

Number One. (Shareholder)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Was it also just me...

... or did anyone else read Einhorn's description of Bing as a 'stinkhole'?

5. Code Monkey

MS - Ballmer

MS shareholder is right, though the industry will miss his apelike slapstick buffoonery

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Got pictures!

After learning it, Ballmer started over-reacting and sweating profusely.

Oh, wait, sorry, this picture was of him before he learnt it.

7. Ilgaz

IBM and Apple

He should be fired for not changing the company culture, emberacing changing times.

Apple and IBM are here today not because of iPod, it was because Apple had balls to dump their impossible to fix MacOS and restarted from strach NexT code without alienating existing userbase and UI paradigm. When people see Finder there and the same UI as 1984, they miss the fact that it is one of the biggest decisions to make.

Check IBM, a company who even insisted on EBCDIC encoding from punch cards. They moved to the new World, gave up hopeless and counter productive end user business, added millions of lines to open source projects.

And here, sorry for getting reminded all the time since I am on perfectly working Nokia E71, a company who puts trojans to companies, bribes people to "buy" marketshare for an OS based on failed flash killer wannabe.

8. David Neil
    Troll

That reminds me

I'm sure there was a computer company back in the 80's that hyped the next version so much that sales of their current model de jour fell away.

Wonder if Monkey Boy is trying to 'reimagine' the concept?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Osborne.

The Osborne effect.

'Sharoooon! The new computer's not f***ing ready! And people have stopped f***ing buying the old one!!!'

2. Ilgaz

That effect can't happen

People lost their trust to Microsoft business plans. They love Windows 7 since it is actually Vista, fixed.

No matter what they say about Windows 8, for ordinary people, it will be Windows 7, improved.

Funny that I bought Vista Starter for my Virtual Box while 7 was available. Why? Because it was a more tested, quirks fixed OS. That is how much "7" or any MS new OS impress me ;)

9. BillG
    FAIL

Lack of Boldness

Microsoft seems to have lost their boldness since Bill Gates stepped down. Silverlight, Zune, Bing, tablet PCs, Vista - WTF is Ballmer thinking?

He's got Silverlight and Bing. At least try to determine your target audience and market to them aggressively. Under Ballmer, MS is doing what I call "Hokey Pokey Marketing" - they put their foot into the market, then they pull their foot out of the market.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The target audience

.. appears to be American TV shows who are happy to take MS's money for rather pathetic product placement.

Gossip Girl characters are the only people you'll ever hear anywhere saying 'Bing it!' (They've already been the only people you ever saw anywhere using the Kin.)

1. Mr Floppy

and the fat people

Jamie Oliver had a 5 second grab about bing and the obese finder in LA. Well, they call it a health map. I call it a fat finder

10. Patrick 8
    Happy

who is the king?

not the customers surely?

11. kosh

good products

MS only have two good products: Excel, and Active Directory.

The rest is hogwash.

Not buying MS shares

1. KjetilS

Good products?

Excel and AD are good? Since when?

12. NHS IT guy
    FAIL

Marketing

As we can tell, Balmer's marketing skills are second to none, as you can be seen in this PIECE OF ART: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cX4t5-YpHQ

13. chiller

dance and shout and convince nobody

a desperate man in action http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvsboPUjrGc&NR=1

watch out for the groin/hamstring tweak at 22seconds. A truly embarrassing display, like when you are younger and your dad gets up to dance at a wedding.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like