back to article Bletchley Park completes epic Tunny machine

A new exhibit opens today at Bletchley Park that illustrates the entire World War II codebreaking process from signal intercept to final decrypt by Tunny machines. The original Tunny, a British project to re-engineer the then-unseen German Lorenz S42 cipher machine, was developed in 1942. After tens of thousands of man-hours …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. LuMan
    Thumb Up

Fantastic!

Definitely taking a day off to go and visit!

2. Tom Chiverton 1

Umm

Would it hurt to link to picture like http://www.flickr.com/photos/jalapenokitten/4088995865/ ?

1. M H
      Thumb Up

thank you for the link...

it's good to know the readers pick up from where El Reg falls asleep.. :)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Damn you....

Bletchley Park, the only reason any sane person need go to Milton Keynes.

I'm going to have to go aren't I....

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
      Happy

Never mind

If you go up (or down) the A5 you can get there without having to actually enter MK at all. Done it several times, and will certainly do so again soon!

4. Rodrigo Valenzuela
    Pint

Cheers

To everyone who is a history, science or computer geek, this is great news.

Great job, congratulations to all people who contributed.

Prosit!

R

5. copsewood
    Go

Excuse for a third visit sometime

I certainly enjoyed the first 2, and these were both days very well spent.

6. Gene Cash Silver badge
    Go

Got the t-shirt!

Appropriately enough, I'm wearing my El Reg ENIGMA/Bletchly Park t-shirt as I read this. Still haven't gotten to go there though :(

7. Christopher W
    Thumb Up

This = amazing

Bletchley Park is one of the most undervalued historical landmarks in Britain, nay, Western Europe. Incredible feats of both human and computer engineering were achieved there during one of the pivotal times in recent history and I find it disgraceful that parts of it continue to suffer from underfunding and lack of understanding about the Park's significance. Where's the EU funding for BP? What about some more from the Lottery Heritage fund? Surely there's some spare in the 2012 budget, we can't have frittered it all away on shuttle bus lanes and Underground extensions.

I can't stand to see how some of the Park is, quite literally, still falling apart, and I applaud the team of staff and volunteers for continuing to maintain it as best they can and preserve the immensely important site and its contents for future generations of visitors. (why is the whole site not listed as a national treasure already and fully funded by the Government?!)

I will most certainly be visiting the Park again soon to see this new exhibit, it sounds absolutely fantastic.

1. Big-nosed Pengie
      Unhappy

@This=amazing

+1

I had the pleasure of touring BP a couple of years back and was astounded at how it had to struggle along on clearly minimal support. That place should be one of Britain's great national monuments to its scientific and engineering genius. It's a national disgrace that it's not properly recognised and funded by your gubmint.

Geniuses - all of 'em.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Historic accuracy?

Nice article, but Colossos was NOT the first computer, it was a calculator. The Manchester Baby was the first computer. It's a bit like the Yanks saying that ENIAC was the first computer - ENIAC was only a calculator when it was built (programmed with plug-in cables!). Please don't wreck computing history with this sort of inaccuracy, Colossos was a fantastic machine and certainly a precursor to real computers, but it did not have re-writable memory etc etc, so it was a fabulous calculator.

9. Winkypop Silver badge
    Thumb Up

True Code Warriors!

I dips me lid!

This topic is closed for new posts.