back to article Telecom NZ splits in two

Telecom New Zealand will spin off its network operations, branded Chorus, into a separate listed company by year end. The split comes at New Zealand’s incumbent telco embarks on building part of a national government funded ultrafast broadband network after securing a tender for 70% of the deployment. Work on the network will …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Michael Duke

Hmmmmmm.......

I wonder what First Mobile (Vodafone's #1 Reseller in NZ) will think of the 1 mobile brand?

2. Chris Curtis
    WTF?

Xt??

Hold on. Are the letters XT no longer synonymous with Richard Hammond? It must be wacky Wednesday!

3. Youngone Silver badge
    Flame

Monopoly

I am fairly sure that the current Government, headed by the National Party, has some bigtime Telecom shareholders in its ranks.

When they were in power last time, the Telecommunications Minister was a total Muppet who spent several years turning a blind eye to various anti competitive activities.

Lo, when the other mob got into power, the first thing they did was announce regulation of Telecom, and some sort of market started, (in fixed line broadband anyway).

Now we have National back in, Telecom's getting great wodges of my money again.

Blind trust my ar*e.

4. Jack Prichard
    FAIL

A budget brand alongside XT?

So it would be cheaper than XT but provide service that is not quite 'premium' or 'super fast' service they provide to customers already.

Instead of Mobile 1 why not go with "2Cans + String".

After watching the XT slow motion train wreck followed by Paul Reynolds on a fly fishing trip telling us 'everything is OK' I am starting to think the new broadband network will not be ultra fast but ultra s... (no, not slow)

CrackedByCracku

1. TelePom

But...

Telecom will not be building the "new broadband network", Chorus will.

5. Yes Me Silver badge
    Thumb Down

Two monopolies are better than one (for some)

So, the NZ Telecom quasi-monopoly will be split into two quasi-monopolies, with a taxpayer subsidy to help. Sweet gets sweeter, for the lucky shareholders. Too bad for actual customers though.

Hey BT, would you like Mr Reynolds back? Please?

6. Ace003
    FAIL

one word

Telstra

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like