back to article ASA smackdown for Yahoo! Thelma & Louise

The UK's advertising regulator has slammed the brakes on a Yahoo! ad which is said encourage irresponsible driving. The ASA received a complaint about "an ad on a login screen, for an email service provider, [which] was headed 'Faster is funner. Introducing the 2x faster New BT Yahoo! Mail. Find out more about BT Yahoo! Mail …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

should

Should use the same ad

but replace the backdrop with "We used to have $h17 here but some 717$ complained" it'd be a hit within hours

2. Juan Inamillion
    FAIL

So let me get this straight

The next time I see the Direct Line Insurance ad in which the red telephone flies through the air and lands on the ground skidding to a halt, I can complain that it's inciting people to drive irresponsibly?

FFS.

3. LinkOfHyrule
    Paris Hilton

What in the name of Paris!

This is the same as me complaining that The Register causes me to type sarcastic bollocks into interweb forums! It just isn't true, I'm naturally predisposed to talk shit!

4. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Fast Cars

There is an ad for the Lamborghini Aventador - it's only online (1080P at http://youtu.be/OPUvn5RwXOg )

Now, I think that advert might encourage the viewer to speed.... I wonder what chance the ASA have of persuading Lamborghini to withdraw it !

5. Steve Loughran
    FAIL

irresponsible driving

If it makes you feel better, the ASA told citroen they can't show a car advert that includes adults cycling without helmets in the UK before 9pm in case it made kids want to cycle without a helmet. That's despite the fact that it is not a legal requirement to wear a helmet

https://lofidelitybicycleclub.wordpress.com/2011/04/27/trading-standards/

They are in a word: daft.

1. Someone Else Silver badge
      Badgers

They are in a word: daft.

I got a better word: Selfimportantninnytwats.

(Yes, it's plural...)

6. Tim 8

The Nanny state will not be ignored!

You will comply!

7. Lord Elpuss Silver badge
    WTF?

Oh

FFS.

I despair sometimes, I really do.

8. DuncanL
    WTF?

If you're going to complain about the advert...

Complain about the mangling of language - 'Faster is funner' indeed...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Headmaster

Linguistic infelicities

We should also complain mightily about Sky's crap slogan "believe in better", or Syfy's equally shit "imagine greater", both which seem to be missing a noun. As they say - it looks like English, but it isn't.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

ASA idiots

But will the ASA do anything about the endless "unlimited" broadband lies put out by virtually every ISP?

Will they buggery.

10. schnide
    WTF?

I use BT Yahoo mail..

..and I never even noticed the advert. I wish that the ASA had actually investigated the adverts claims that the email service was in any way good, which is clearly false advertising.

11. English Bob
    Stop

Maybe the world has ended, after all

I never thought I'd find myself taking Yahoo's side...

12. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

I'm afraid it's all Yahoo's fault

I saw this advert and on the way home decided speed was indeed the best thing ever and managed to do my evening shop in super quick time. Admittedly I ram-raided the Supermegamart and drove around at 90mph down the ailses and killing a fair few in my path but damn did that shopping get done quick.

Tired of toodling along in the traffic at barely 30mph I decided to take a short cut across the park at a staggering 88mph taking out a couple of football teams in along the way. I finally decided to hurtle down the railway line narrowly avoiding the destruction of my car (can't say so much for the train, that de-railed killing tens of billions of people) and I was home at least 5 seconds sooner than usual.

Thanks Yahoo! Tha-hoo.

13. Old Handle

Here's the image in question:

http://img862.imageshack.us/img862/15/fasterisfunner.jpg

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

It's also encouraging dangerous driving...

Those girls are on the wrong side of the road!

14. ceebee
    Thumb Down

but is Y mail faster...??

I do not find the "new" Y mail faster and the new Yahoo calendar is a complete and utter dud with major functions removed inc. Blackberry and Outlook syncing, ability to share Yahoo Group calendars and introducing "features" such as minimum 30 minute blocks for meetings etc.

Maybe the ASA could get them for false advertising?

15. Lance 3

Top gear knows how to do it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYGd0LL56mk

16. Sonny Jim
    FAIL

I complained about the recent 'Cuts are Criminal' advert

And received a very nice letter from a Laura Walker saying they were going to do sod all.

Can we get rid of OFCOM, ASA and the PCC ASAP please?

17. Dr Insanity

but but but

wont somebody please think of the children

18. Huh?
    Childcatcher

I love Mary Poppins

n/m

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like