back to article Google borgs fledgling price comparison site

Google has acquired SparkBuy, a less-than-year-old price comparison site that was officially still in beta. SparkBuy announced the acquisition on its website, and its service is no longer available. "We are pleased as punch to announce that Sparkbuy has been acquired by Google," said SparkBuyers Dan Shapiro, Scot Haug, and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Marvin the Martian

Smartbuy? What Smartbuy?

In the middle of the article it suddenly talks about SmartBuy?

2. John B 1
    Big Brother

An offer they couldn't refuse

"So when Google showed up and suggested we could work together to turbocharge our efforts, we just couldn’t pass it up" = "these horses' heads are ruining our duvets".

3. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Foundem?

I had to laugh. After their last bit of free publicity (never heard of them before) I gave them a try. Well, the results of my jury is now in. Nil Points to foundem.

In every case they came last in both the range and price offered. It seemed that only a few sites (must be paid rankings) were featured. Several times their site returned things totally unrelated to the actual search I used.

Before anyone asks, I don't work for Google or any other price comparison site.

4. Graham Marsden
    Coat

Blimey...

... I know what I'm doing for the next few days...

1) Cobble together a Beta price comparison site

2) Sell it to Google

3) Profit!

5. vonBureck
    FAIL

Lucky bastards

Well, that's them set up for the rest of their lives. I do wonder, though, if there are any search-related start-ups that are actually created with the aim of operating successfully, and not just getting bought by Google/Microsoft/[insert your own megacorp here].

6. dotdavid
    Coat

Will fit in

"Google has acquired SparkBuy, a less-than-year-old price comparison site that was officially still in beta"

...what with all the other Google products, it should fit right in.

Mine's the one that occasionally hangs.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like