back to article Exploited Hotmail bug stole email without warning

Microsoft has patched a bug in its Hotmail email service that attackers were exploiting to silently steal confidential correspondences and user contacts from unsuspecting victims. The vulnerability was actively being exploited using emails that contained malicious scripts, Trend Micro researcher Karl Dominguez said Monday. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Highlander
    Gates Horns

I demand full and immediate disclosure!

Ha! Typical security for beginners by Microsoft. Ah well they probably deserve it. But how could they be so lax and allow such an attack. it's unthinkable, and they still cannot tell us how many people were affected?

Come on Microsoft! How many users affected, how much personal information at risk, what is Microsoft doing to mitigate the harm of this attack? I want to know, and I want to know NOW!

Perhaps Congress should get involved and demands some answers....like they did with Sony?

Hmmmm.,......?

1. Ru
      Troll

On the contrary

They are clearly and demonstrably using industry standard security precautions.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Joke

Which Industry?

Methinks the Swiss Cheese Industry

2. Captain DaFt
    FAIL

Geez

Hacking Hot Mail accounts? Are people out there THAT desperate to get more spam?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Tom Chiverton 1

Well...

s/get/send/

3. Nebulo

Hmmm ...

"The email purported to be a security warning concerning the victim's Facebook account."

I wonder. I got one of these a couple of weeks ago, about a week after my sister got a shiny new Hotmail account and emailed me from it. Fortunately, being of sound (ish) mind, I have no Facebook account, so doing nothing was easy. If the email I received was indeed one of these, the problem's at least two or three weeks old.

1. Brian 6
      Stop

@Nebulo Your point is ???

Whats your sis setting up a Hotmail account got to do with anything. Or u having no online friends for that matter ??

4. Apocalypse Later

Clearly...

... Microsoft has once more been attacked because it is so popular and dominant in the marketplace, and not because of any security failings per se.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Stop

RE: Clearly...

...and if there were no security failings then how was anyone able to hack their way in...?

Microsoft are legendary for having security holes you could drive a truck through (Swiss Cheese, as another poster commented)

5. shuckie

Question

Does anyone know if Firefox's NoScript and/or the fact that Hotmail blocks links from unknown senders/possible spam would provide any protection against this?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Still Happening

Found a pile of bounced mail in my account today. So I dont think its fixed yet. I havent signed on via any compromised machines. Last time I changed my password about 3 times and still had it happening.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like