back to article Catch of the Day hauls A$80m

James Packer's renewed interest in the tech space has netted local online deal pioneers Gabby and Hezi Leibovich A$80 million for their Catch of the Day and group buying offshoot Scoopon sites. With his old OneTel* wounds apparently healing, Packer's Consolidated Press Holdings joins Seek co-founder Andrew Bassat, New York …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. David Hicks
    Stop

Online retail in australia...

“It is still early days in Australia when it comes to online retail and to support our next phase of growth we were open to overseas investors who could share a different perspective into the online retail market, as well as bring new skills, advice and contacts to further our growth and expansion,” they said.

I'm sure a different perspective would be useful. it would be most useful if applied to the Australian government who make Aussie retail the joke it is at the moment. Why would I bother ordering from an Australia site when I (as a private citizen) can get good delivered from overseas more cheaply than the retailers are allowed to buy them from the importers? Importers who, AFAICT, are given legal monopoly status which allows them to set whatever price they like and gives retailers no recourse to the international marketplace.

Of course high prices on imports are part of the idea it seems, to stimulate Australian business. Except I'm afraid I don't know of any Aussie branded TV or computer hardware, and if there is any I'm sure they're just a brand on top of chinese, korean, japanese or other asian manufacturing.

Time for Oz to drop this spectacular legal/monetary screwup and embrace the free market.

2. MS Rocks

$80M lemon

Catch of the day is rubbish. The website just hangs when you try and do anything. I gave up trying to buy stuff from them about 6 months ago. They will get taken to pieces by any competitor that can actually create a working website.....

3. Head
    Go

Hmmm

Better staying independent i think, since they can only go upwards.

One of the best online retailers on the web.

1. MS Rocks

"one of the best online retailers on the web?'

Hah hah, REALLY? I am guessing to have not had much experience of online retail outside of Aus. I will give you a clue. Australia is ten years behind the rest of the developed world when it comes to internet commerce (and a lot of other things, but I will hang fire for now).

This topic is closed for new posts.