back to article Sony Bravia KDL-EX524 40in LED TV

Sony’s KDL-EX524 is a well-equipped flatscreen for those of us with scant regard for the third dimension. Resolutely 2D, this Freeview HD 40-incher with 32- and 37-inch alternatives, instead tempts with features like Internet connectivity, media streaming and USB HDD recording. It’s also relatively affordable. Sony Bravia KDL- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. sT0rNG b4R3 duRiD
    Stop

It's a Sony. Don't buy it.

Just doing my bit for the crusade against Sony.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

TV Review - 6/10 could do better

Why don't you create a spreadsheet checklist for all the features these TVs include. Then you wouldn't have to use any words in your review /sarcasm off.

It would enable people to compare TVs by just copying a column into their spreadsheet.

You could also include important features (that are rarely included in reghardware reviews) such as does the USB interface allow files greater than 4 GB to be run, ie can it understand NTFS, (or any other nonFAT32 file system for that matter) and does the TV provide proper DLNA support (or just Sonys usual noddy implementation).

Marks out of 10 for the basic functionality (ie picture quality) wouldn't go amiss either, since thats the number 1 factor buyers are interested in.

1. Robert E A Harvey

yes

I've not forgiven them for rootkitting people's PCs either

3. Robert E A Harvey
    Thumb Down

Internet?

So its an Internet TV so long as you think Sony own the internet.

No thanks.

4. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Its not LED, just backlit

Why can't manufacturers state properly about LED and LCD panels, instead of this decieving crap.

1. Pseu Donyme

Marketing

aka commercial propaganda.

2. Brian 6
      Stop

@AC 13:38 GMT

RTFA. Its NOT back lit.

1. Danny 4

Still not LED TV

Regardless of whether it is edge or back-lit, it is still disingenuous to repeatedly call it an LED TV. And El Reg should know better.

What will real LED TVs be called when they eventually reach the mass market?

Though looking at the BVM-E250 it would appear that OLED will be adopted to differentiate them from the non-LED LED TVs. Now they just have to be realistically priced...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ethernet, but what does it read through it?

DLNA? NAS protocols? SMB? AppleTalk? NFS (last one a tall order I know)?

I would have expected a more thorough review from the register.

Looking at Sony web site it has a number of _very_ interesting features (subject to getting more recent firmware):

1. Skype - I guess we finally approach South Korean level where instead of staring dumbly into a phone we can actually have a proper video call with someone who is sitting similarly comfortably in their living room - eg. grandma.

2. Media remote for iPhone and Android - we are only a few minutes away from having anything streamed from your phone via WiFi and DLNA and controlled via your phone. Interesting thought (and terminally scary one for anyone doing Set Top Boxes).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Why hasn't video calling on the tv been done before?

It hooks up to Skype? Does it have an integrated webcam too? If so... awesome! Finally we'll be able to have BTTF2-esque video calls with our bosses on the living room tv! :D

1. IsJustabloke
        Thumb Up

I refuse to enoble a simple forum post!

No it doesn't have an integrated webcam but Sony have an accessory that does, is designed to the same "style" as the TV and plugs into one of its USB ports.... I don't work for Sony, I juts happened to spopt the gadgte on their website.

6. Ojustaboo

don't buy it

Having spent over a grand on one of their internet ready Bravias only 18 months ago with the promise of new apps etc, only to find 18 months later, they haven't released one new app in the whole time I've owned it, not only that but they are no longer releasing apps for pre 2011 models at all, I will never buy another Sony product again.

7. CADmonkey
    FAIL

"more demanding users should look up the Sony range for better picture quality"

£800 and the picture sucks?

fuck

off

8. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

couple of questions...

When folk pick a PC system, they hopefully pick the most appropriate PC for the job and then separately pick the most appropriate screen for the job.

Why, with many TVs now more expensive than most PCs, are those decisions still not separate? Why can I not buy a screen which is purely a screen, and a separate box of electronics which has an aerial input and an HDMI output (or similar) to connect to a (nearly dumb, so no remote needed) screen of my choice?

The obvious reason is that the consumer electronics industry think it would result in less dosh for them, no? Except that because both purchases would individually be smaller than one big purchase, they might actually sell *more* overall because people would be upgrading pieces more frequently, no?

Comments earlier suggested ratings, and spreadsheets, and the like. What a fine idea. Usually I moan at TPM about lack of tables and piecharts in articles focusing on feeds and speeds, but it would be just as helpful here. I believe modern technology can do other things besides text; how about the journalists?

"Wi-Fi isn’t integrated, but Sony sells a dongle for the job."

Does it have to be Sony or will proper ones work?

"I doubt that I’m alone in being frustrated by Sony’s ongoing refusal to support MKV content."

Do a poll on The Reg then. I have heard of MKV but can't remember what it is or (other than it being "free"?) why Joe Public should care about it. Why not a more general comment about lack of ability to add new codecs, too?

I assume it's single tuner and therefore not really a proper PVR/Freeview-Plus thingy? But wtf should I have to *assume* anything, in an alleged review? Don't say "there's no space" - fewer words and more tables can fix that.

Final question: can the next review be assessed by the Plain English Campaign before publication.

E.g.

"the TV does not feature Sony’s Motionflow framerate booster, it’s unable to display moving resolution at Full HD." means what, exactly (especially if more money buys a fix - to what).

"in the process locking any content it records to the host TV." means what, exactly?

Have a nice week.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

erm...

"Why can I not buy a screen which is purely a screen, and a separate box of electronics which has an aerial input and an HDMI output (or similar) to connect to a (nearly dumb, so no remote needed) screen of my choice?"

You can...

Just buy a pc monitor and a freeview box. Although you might struggle to get a 40" monitor with as low a resolution as a HDTV.

You'll need some extra bits if you want any sound of course, but tv speakers aren't exactly top notch. Also, rather defeating the purpose, it's not even going to come close to being as low a price as a TV!

2. Craig Chambers

Locked to this TV only

"in the process locking any content it records to the host TV." means what, exactly?

It means that anything you record onto the USB drive can only be played back by this TV. You can't plug the drive into another TV, or PC and view it.

IIRC this is a requirement for any device that can directly record HD channels from Freesat HD that wants to display the logo (though my understanding is that the encryption strictly only applies to HD content and not SD) - I'm going to extrapolate that either it also applies to Freeview HD, or that Sony decided to do it this way to use identical functionality when they release the Freesat versions of these TVs.

9. Craig Chambers
    Stop

XMB - not on PS3 first

Point of order - The XMB first appeared on the PSP, about 2 years before the PS3 was released.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like