back to article Kaspersky wants Interpol for the web

The world needs an Internet Interpol, as well as enforceable online identities and an “Internet passport”, Eugene Kaspersky has told the AusCERT 2011 conference this week. The founder of Kaspersky Lab said his “Interpol” needed to be a global, borderless cybercrime unit that would exist with the support cooperation of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Long John Brass

Why not a Interpol cyber crime division

Anyone know why Interpol has not yet set up a cyber crime division?

Seems like a no brainer to me :)

1. Mike Kamermans
      Thumb Up

I'll let interpol explain it themselves.

http://www.interpol.int/public/TechnologyCrime/default.asp

2. Roger 11
      Happy

Well, look at this:)

http://www.interpol.int/Public/TechnologyCrime/default.asp

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Echelon

First rule of Stoneghost, don't talk about Stoneghost

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

INTERPOL also wants to put everyone in a biometric database.

Doesn't mean either is a good idea.

We do need better infrastructure but that doesn't necessarily translate to straight up digitising of pasports. I think it should not at all, in fact.

In that respect it is clear that the guy only sees rampant badness to go after (and get paid handsomely for it) and isn't so interested in noticing that it's law abiding citizens that need the tools to preserve their privacy as well as ascertain that they aren't getting scammed by some Russian or other.

The implicitly proposed alternative is to have governments, or hey perhaps even commercial parties, like, oh, this guy's shop, preside over everyone's every move. China would love that, as would Russia for that matter. And various TLAgencies in the USoA too, for some reason. But we the people? Somewhat less so, I imagine.

4. Old Handle
    Stop

Couldn't be more wrong

First of all, isn't Interpol already Interpol for the Web? Besides that, he seems to forget that different countries have different laws and trying to enforce national laws internationally is a really bad idea.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That's as maybe

"trying to enforce national laws internationally is a really bad idea."

But you try telling that to the US of A.

5. Graham Wilson
    Black Helicopters

This is not the first time Eugene Kaspersky's said this. 'Tis a worry.

I'm not sure whether Eugene Kaspersky's trying to do himself out of a job or if he's a throwback 'ab dem dritten Reich'.

It seems to me that we've enough encroaching authoritarianism in the world today as it is. Frankly, I'd prefer to live in a world with some gravelly discordant noise in the background than to live under authoritarian rule.

IMHO, Kaspersky would be much better off convincing fellow brethren--those who run international software corporations as he does--to stop writing junk Swiss-cheese code. Above all else, this--along with improving the internet so that it approaches the point where all 'personal' transactions over the net would be automatically encrypted and authenticated--would make the net a much safer place. (For instance, why, after nearly 20 years, doesn't say Outlook or Outlook Express automatically encrypt email to public keys by default with plain-text having to be selected manually?)

It's also possible Kaspersky may be thinking that, at some future time, being in charge of a Cyber Interpol might add a nice finishing touch to his career. (Sorry, I'm always somewhat suspicious of people with pronounced authoritarian tendencies.)

6. LaeMing
    Troll

Open u----p. It's the pi---gs.

I'm calling the internet police on you right now!

7. Allan George Dyer
    Go

But Interpol HAS held a conference on this!

The first INTERPOL Information Security Conference took place from 15th to 17th September 2010 at the Hong Kong Police Headquarters with the theme of “Global Cooperation Today for InfoSec Risks Tomorrow”, and brought together industry leaders, academic experts and law enforcement representatives of the 188 INTERPOL member countries.

http://articles.yuikee.com.hk/newsletter/2010/09/b.html

Kaspersky, and other security companies, are cooperating with law enforcement in many countries too. Eugene knows this. I guess he's calling for more and better organisation, but I don't think it is a good idea to give the impression that nothing at all has been done.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

So, here's proposing online ID cards...

Wouldn't that stand against freedom and stuff? Like how real people are against ID cards?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"digital world is under attack"

Damn right!

Mainly by Kaspersky and his ilk...

10. Intractable Potsherd
    WTF?

Kaspersky....

... has just made damn sure I will never use anything made by any of his companies, now or in the future.

What a prick.

1. countd

Agreed...

Why, just this morning I was looking at the AV options for Android, of which Kaspersky is one. Frankly with this sort of crap he can stick it where the sun don't shine.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dear Eugene, Oh to catapult the propaganda!

-=[ Remember October 2009 ]=-

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/10/16/kaspersky_rebukes_net_anonymity/

Okay Eugene, while not many can deny Kasper has been faithful over the years in identifying what is and isn't a virus, the constant yammering for such global police state policy now comes back to bite.

Just a quick search this morning and it seems people are fed up with this police state nonsense, which means after two more years of this crap it's leaving a very sour taste.

Even I stood up for you back then, arguing while everyone is hating Kasper what a wonderful time to buy a three year license, but clearly in today's world TPTB want everything they can get, even if they don't need it, so stop giving them ideas. Seriously, nothing is enough for them anymore. While I respect your right to your opinion, I also have my own opinion and it seems I am not alone, the writing is on the wall, this police state crap needs to be reigned in before it reigns us all in. Be careful not to piss off your loyal user base Eugene, there are already a few technical problems which touch the outside edges of the Kasper suite, topics which already get re-directed and technical problems which refuse to be addressed. You ought stick to AV and drop the politics before your politics drop your AV.

I will stop supporting any part of the net that required such police state madness, I'm not alone. That means your business will drop like a rock. We heard you in 2009, and said no, now shut up. Note that today's world of VM's, cloned backup's, and encrypted password managers, AV is quickly becoming irrelevant anyway, except perhaps by the most naive of the sheeple, and perhaps by those who collect virus's.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like