back to article Three to supply UK Chromebooks' 3G access

Three will be offering 3G-connected Chromebooks when they debut in the UK next month. That's all the network operator is saying about the deal for now, but it seems likely that its role will be similar to that of Verizon in the US: to provide the bundled 100MB of mobile broadband data transfers each month for a two-year period …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Neil Dawson

Cough! 100Mb?

100Mb! Is that it?

Wifi only for me then

1. Code Monkey

Wifi only

In which case you might as well spend £350 on a netbook. Or am I missing something?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

For verizon

those 100MB are 'free' (read: paid for by Google - I presume likewise for the UK) and Three has a decent PAYG internet plan.

It's little, but if you only need to check your email (using that semi-offline gmail that google offers) in an emergency it's not that bad.

2. Alastair Dodd 1
    Thumb Down

100mb

for a cloud based laptop? you'll be paying lots of excess data fees then - I do 500mb per month on my phone easily.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ummm

According to Engadget the US 3G units would include free 100MB data from Verizon for the life of the product, not 2 years.

I wonder who is right.

4. Tony McAlinden
    Linux

Limits? What Limits?

I don't think we should surmise the 100 meg limit (a legacy of the US networks ill equipped for smartphone data usage) would be in place on Three, who have far and away the best mobile broadband at the moment, and which they offer genuinely without limits on many of their Smartphone tariffs.

I'm writing this via one of their MiFi boxes, on a rolling monthly contract £15 for 5 gigs, which compares favourably with any competitors. If I'd wanted to commit to 24 months I'd have had 15 gigs a month for that.

If there is going to be such a miniscule limit, I hope Google have found a way of zero rating traffic to and from their servers - otherwise you could easily get through 100 meg just for OS updates and the like.

P.S. Before someone pimps GiffGaff and their limitless data, my iPhone is on that, but won't be for much longer giving their seeming inability to make their data charging work without breaking connectivity.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

But but

GiffGaff is Amazing!!! They'll be like your best friend, but give you oral sex at the same time. Get it now.

Just kidding, I also can't stand those GiffGaff fanbois, they're worse than the Opera

ones. As you say if you do have 3G coverage (and given their agreement it's likely they do) Three is much better.

1. Robert E A Harvey

'ang on, AC

>They'll be like your best friend, but give you oral sex at the same time.

How can someone who gives you Oral Sex /not/ be your best friend?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

How much?

Cough, splutter, hack

for £200 maybe but £350? F*** right off.

6. Rob Daglish
    FAIL

Definitely not bothering if it's on 3

As the network here is pants. Can travel 20-25 miles to get a signa since they stopped the network share with Orange.

1. CmdrX3
      FAIL

Oh joy....

Assuming they are a very big seller, that will be another 27 people able to connect to the 3 network then.

7. Kay Burley ate my hamster
    Flame

£350-400

You can get a proper laptop for that!

8. Robert E A Harvey
    Coat

subheading

Oh, "Bundler". Sorry.

9. Bill Cumming
    Thumb Up

From what i've seen...

If you get a Chrome OS laptop from "3" you'll get the first 3 months (3Gb) free out of the box,

Then you can choose between a "month to month" or fixed contract period (prices not disclosed).

And with "3"s current "laptop buy-back offer" (£150 if you've a laptop younger than 3 years old) if you take out a new laptop deal it might bring the costs down to a reasonable level.

10. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Oops

Come on Google.

£200 to £250 at the very most would make these tempting.

But they aren't PROPER laptops with optical drives, and large hard drives, and a full retail copy of Windows 7.

Anything over £250 is too much for these to attract people. I'm disappointed as I wanted one, so long as the price was right.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like