back to article France's official P2P monitoring firm hacked

The French government has temporarily suspended its reliance on the company designated to monitor file-sharing networks for copyright scofflaws following reports that a hack on its servers may have leaked sensitive information. Eric Walter, France's secretary general of internet piracy, made the announcement over Twitter on …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Brilliant

Made my day.

2. Ian Stephenson
    Big Brother

Hmmmm...

Any proof that the internal data was not modified by the hackers?

Thought not.

There is a nice defence for anyone subject to penalties (or whatever Hadopi levies) in the near future.

3. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Big Brother

TMG has said “no personal data was disclosed”

Because once they have it, it's no longer personal.

4. greg oestreicher
    FAIL

Hack?

Hard to call this a hack when the leaked data was available with a simple browser pointed to the right IP address. Call this a massive fail on TMG's side and it'll be more accurate, with the added bonus that they won't be seen as poor victims of some uber-pirate, but only of their own incompetence.

And the 'This is a test server' argument is moot. Are the leaked IP addresses (there are some if the original reporters are right, see http://reflets.info/le-honeypot-de-tmg/) only test addresses belonging to test citizens? I doubt it…

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Re:"Hard to call this a hack"

Unfortunately, that is the way it goes on the Internet these days.

If you leave your front door open and someone comes in and swipes your car keys, it's all your fault, but if a company leaves a server wide open and someone pings it, it's a hack and the judges have a ton of bricks ready.

Somehow, I think there's going to have to be a change somewhere down the line. After all, the Internet is a place where it is inevitable to find someone who's going to try to hack you, whereas I could leave my front door open for a week in my little French village and I'd still have my car keys after that.

Not that I do leave my door open, mind you.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

re: Eric Walter, France's secretary general of internet piracy

Since when do pirates have secretary's general? I thought they had captains.

On the other hand, if you're going to 'pirate' data, you can't go wrong pirating the data of the secretary general of piracy.

6. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Ha! Dopey!

Although I'm sure I won't be the only one to say this.

7. Gerrit Hoekstra
    Terminator

Ha ha ha ha ha! Vive la France...

Another pointless "job-creating" government department bites the dust. Reminds me of France's fruitless attempts of stopping the Internet-driven incursion of English into their language.

You can't tame the Internet, OK Messieur?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like