back to article Phone, slab location data 'is personal' - EU watchdogs

Data identifying mobile phone users' locations should count as personal data and receive a high level of protection, the EU's data protection watchdogs will tell the European Commission, according to a newspaper report. If the Commission adopts the recommendation, provision for the protection of location-revealing data could …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. dephormation.org.uk
    Alert

Except that...

... even if there were regulations, laws, and financial penalties.

The UK ICO would do everything it possibly could to obstruct prosecutions.

Because they are corruption, lazy, and incompetent.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why do they have to lie?

"This information being stored on the device raises concerns about access by third-party iOS apps which collect data and share with advertisers;"

This is a lie. Apple store approved iOS apps can't access this data. This is only an issue if you jailbreak the phone as the location cache file sits outside the app sandbox.

Sometimes I'm not sure who's worst: the advertisers or these privacy groups who profit from scaremongering.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I think...

the principle at issue here is 'Should the devices be collecting and/or saving location data at all as a matter of course".

Clearly, some device users might like to take advantage of location based services and in this case they could be readily permitted the option within the device to record and provide location information. When they have completed this work a user should be permitted to rescind permission and reset data. But that is not a preferred option.

On Android I cannot opt out of sending data to all and sundry once I make use of location based services and that is, perhaps, the moot point.

3. Camilla Smythe

Bwa-Hah-Hah-Hah-Hah

"Mobile networks record location data, but in the UK the information is only supposed to be available to law enforcement authorities through a court order obtained under the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act (RIPA)."

IF ISP/BUSINESS THEN GOTO TITLE ELSE SUCKS TO BE YOU

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Camilla Smythe

"Mobile networks record location data, but in the UK the information is only supposed to be available to law enforcement authorities through a court order obtained under the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act (RIPA)."

The difference between this and the Apple stuff is that the Mobile network stores the data centrally. Apple store the data on the phone, where some third party may be able to get at it.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Apple and Google and WP7 and ... probably everyone

They all store the data on the phone, where some third party can get to it if they manage to get the device and you've not encrypted it.

2. Camilla Smythe
        Coat

... Number Letter

Thanks for the heads up. I'm not sure you added anything that detracted from my original statement unless you might be suggesting that the Mobile Network/ISP is in a position to combine their data with that available from the 'phone', and credit reports from [example] Nectar/Experian/WebBugs to build a better picture..... not that they would.. After all,

Bwah-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha

"Mobile networks record location data, but in the UK the information is only supposed to be available to law enforcement authorities through a court order obtained under the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act (RIPA).

IF ISP/BUSINESS THEN GOTO Bwah-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha ELSE SUCKS TO BE YOU

Tell me this...

Given the difference is multi $1,000,000, stolen from others, but concentrated into your back pocket would you not be talking to Mr ED of DBIS, champion of Net Neutrality', to make sure it finds its 'rightful' home.

Eh?

I am certain the ICO will 'do not a lot' in due course and the 'Vultures', no reference to REG, will continue to circle.

Righty Ho... Just got to pop next door and tidy up the NDN's disk of tracking cruft. After all I am certain that any sold storage system mentions in the purchase agreement that half of it will be used for such purposes with the appropriate data backed up elsewhere just in case.

Mine's the one with a TinFoil Lining. Well, actually it's metallised polyester film but the shiny plastic stuff is a different story. ;-)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like